Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need pic of casting #. PLS HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 12:55 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need pic of casting #. PLS HELP!

I just dropped an 04 ls1 in my s10... Im working to make this truck smog legal in las vegas.. Well the DMV gave me some paperwork with 11 questions i have to take to the dealership. The dealership has to inspect my truck and the motor and then answer the 11 questions on a letter head and GM's inspector has to sign it. Then i have to bring that back to the DMV where they will re-inspect everything...

One of the questions in the paperwork from the DMV is the casting number or serial number and the displacement of the motor... And since my motor is new and has never been in a vehicle it doesn't have a serial number... Well the dealership and the DMV both understand that. I told them the casting number is on the back of the motor and the displacement tag is under the headers and neither are viewable... They told me to take pictures and bring them otherwise no go...

Before i dropped the motor into my truck i took all the pictures that i needed to show the dealership and the DMV. I just kept them on the camera so i could take them down to have them developed... Well murphy's law rubbed off on me during my swap and luck have it, I lost the pictures... I have no idea how they got erased and i have told my girl like 20 times not to touch the pictures on the camera so she didnt do it...

Now i have 2 choices pull the motor back out of my truck to take the picture (BTW everything is working and running great) or see if someone happens to have a motor sitting in their garage with the right casting number and can get me a couple pictures...

The first one needs to be the casting number from an 01 or newer 5.7 aluminum block...
12561168...350...01-up...crossbolted block, Gen.III, "LS1", aluminum...
^^^^^ That is the casting number... and its located right below the drivers side head on the back of the block...
Here is a picture of my motor and where its located... obviously i cant use this picture because you cant read the casting number...

The second picture i need is a pic of the displacement tag... Its a little black tag thats 1/2" x 1/2" that says 5.7 and it sticks out on the passenger side right below the head... I think it's apart of the gasket where the passenger head meets the block...

Please if someone could get me some close up pictures of the displacement tag and the casting # it would save me from having to pull the motor back out of my truck...

Please help!!!
Old 12-14-2006, 10:50 AM
Staging Lane

Dont know if this will help much since the numbers are not the LS6 casting ones that you requested, but this is from an 01 LS1 block. Good Luck, I'll try to get more pics this weekend when I get a new dig. camera.
Attached Thumbnails Need pic of casting #. PLS HELP!-casting-numbers.jpg  
Old 12-14-2006, 11:12 AM
12 Second Club

Hope this helps

Old 12-15-2006, 01:51 AM
Staging Lane

does anyone know what that bar code on the back of the motor means? with the code "3MA"... Does it say anything about the motor being for an 04' gto?

That would be nice to know as well... cuz im trying to prove to the DMV also that this is an 04 gto ls1 so that i can prove the emission devices that i have on the motor are the correct ones for an 04 GTO... It's was a brand new motor when i got it so it doesn't have a serial number stamped into it...
Old 12-16-2006, 10:49 PM
Staging Lane

any 1? ttt

Quick Reply: Need pic of casting #. PLS HELP!