Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 03:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i need help

getting redy to do motor/tranny swap. i have a 2000 model firebird v6 5spd car, and i would really like to go with an ls1 t56 setup, problem is, i am kind of new to this and dont really know how to go about it. there has got to be more than just buying a motor and tranny. anyway if you could help me out i would greatly appreciate it.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:34 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Moving to Conversions & Hybrids Forum (from Pontiac Firebird Forum)...
Old 01-05-2007, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unless you have some special attraction to that car, you would be WAY better off to sell it and look for an original LS1 Camaro or Firebird. This topic has come up before and just about everyone has agreed that is the best way. It will be cheaper and you will have everything that an LS1 car should have.

My $.02

Pat
Old 01-05-2007, 10:31 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There is a lot more than just buying a motor and tranny.........you have to install it too . If you are not very mechanically inclined swapping a LS1 into a 4th gen V6 probably isn`t the best way to become mechanically inclined.

If you have a donor car to pull everything from it can be a bolt in. But if you just buy an engine and trans you have to find,buy, or fabricate all the little brackets, nuts, bolts, wiring, emissions stuff etc. At that point swapping an LSx into an older car is actually easier since theres more room under the hood and the electronics on the car side are simpler.

Try a search, there are a bunch of lists of what you need. The more factory parts you have the more it will bolt together instead of requiring welders and fabrication. If you still wanna go for it speartech should have you covered for wiring, its not a plug in unless you start out by replacing a lot of the wiring with LS1 stuff.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:32 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Stu Cool
Unless you have some special attraction to that car, you would be WAY better off to sell it and look for an original LS1 Camaro or Firebird. Pat
I hate say it, but I agree. Over the years I have wasted, no, thrown away more money than I care to admit on projects because I was in love with a particular car for some reason. Since you are actually interested in a car and engine/tranny combo that was factory produced, you will be light years ahead of the game by selling whay you have, saving a few bucks and then going out and finding the car you want. Be patient and look for the options you want with the lowest mileage you can find. Take the amount you think you would have "saved" by doing a swap and tripple it, thats the actual cost to do the swap (those who have done it, chime in here, I dont think I'm far off). If you buy the factory car you will have money for upgrades instead of a partially finnished project that eventually sells for pennies on the dollar spent.
Like I tell my kids, dont fall in love, it's only sheet metal and plastic. EVERYTHING is for sale!
Chris
Old 01-06-2007, 05:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Stu Cool
Unless you have some special attraction to that car, you would be WAY better off to sell it and look for an original LS1 Camaro or Firebird. This topic has come up before and just about everyone has agreed that is the best way. It will be cheaper and you will have everything that an LS1 car should have.

My $.02

Pat
ditto!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: i need help