Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LT1 in a 1980 Vette

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007 | 03:03 AM
Teching In

Question LT1 in a 1980 Vette

Has anyone seen a conversion kit to drop a 97 LT1 into a 1980 (c3) vette?

My dad needs his old man Vette, and he loves the 1980 model's body, but I don't want to give him a vette that only looks good. I'm looking at turning the thing into the Batmobile, but the first step is replacing that weak engine Chevy dropped in there for fuel efficiency and emmissions. With upgrades to the engine and suspension, it should have a vastly improved ride with 350-400 rwhp moving him along and grabbing all the looks with that jet intake hood and bat-winged rear fenders.

Any info and input is much appreciated!
Old 01-13-2007 | 08:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

This has been done many times.

Being that the LT1 is a Gen II SBC, all should drop right in and everything should bolt up with out a problem. You would only have to modify the Wiring Harness and Fuel System to handle EFI requirement of fuel pressure, return line and regulator.

You might have to get the computer reprogramed if needed.
Old 01-13-2007 | 02:59 PM
Teching In

Default What about LS6's?

With the new 6L80E transmission planned for development, would it be wiser to simply drop an LS6 in there to easily mate up with the new 6sp AT? Will it still drop in as easily?
Old 01-13-2007 | 04:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

LS6 is a good move as any of the Gen 3 or 4 engines!.. not sure about how big the new 6L80E is. But if it is anythink like the 4L80E.. you might have to modify the Trans Tunnel.. as it is a large Trans.

Shouldn't be to much harder, same applies (Fuel, PCM and wiring), just have to deal with new engine and Trans mounts. There has been many GenIII engine swaps into the C3.. search on the C3 swap and maybe they will ping in on this thread to give you some info...

Add some Updated suspension (C4/5) and it will be a great car..

Do it and you will not reget it... ! keep us posted !
Old 01-13-2007 | 07:43 PM
Launching!

I had a tpi motor in my 73 vette before i swapped to a Ls1,do the ls1 or ls1 hell like it alot better.I actually thought the ls1 swap was easier then the tpi swap as far as wiring.

Quick Reply: LT1 in a 1980 Vette