Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

?corvette alternator substitute?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 02:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ?corvette alternator substitute?

After searching all local parts stores, I can't find anyone who stocks the corvette alternator. I will end up getting the Factory GM unit, (made from pure billet gold, hence the price ), if I have to, but I would rather have an alt that if it failed it would be a common parts house stocked item.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check your local yellow pages for a shops that will remanufactor or rebuilt Alternators and Starters.. it might help (I know I used one to do my failed alternator).

If you can't find one, check with one of the local parts store and ask them who they deal with.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:25 PM
On The Tree

--Check your local yellow pages for a shops that will remanufactor or rebuilt Alternators and Starters--

I have done just that and in some instances they wanted more than buying the GM unit .

And what I am trying to do is, find another unit that has the same bolt pattern, one wire connection, is about the same size and will fit in the corvette bracket.
It could be a unit from a Caliver, dosen't matter to me...I just want the local parts house to stock one if I need one...

Thanks
ChrisP
Old 02-01-2007, 03:25 PM
Staging Lane

What year are you looking for? I took a quick look at Autozone.com for a 2001 and they had one listed ....... and if they have em, so should everyone.... Here's Rock Auto's listing for a 2005. Hope this helps.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not go order one from AutoZone? They carry them, they may not be IN the store, but I'm sure then can have it in a day or two...
Old 02-01-2007, 03:41 PM
TECH Resident

I can tell you from personal experience that the Truck alternators look like they fit, but don't. The bolt pattern is off by about 1 hole diameter (about 3/8" to 1/2").

I didn't find that out until I already had a 145Amp Truck alternator in my hands, which I wanted to use (readily available, cheap, higher output than the 'vette unit). That alternator cost me a whooping $50 plus shipping from a salvage yard in Ohio (can't remember who, found them on Carpart.com), and was in the best condition I've ever seen (it was absolutely SPOTLESS). I think mine came off of a '05 Envoy.

I ended up making an adapter to make the alternator fit the C5 bracket from a chunk of alum. But I've got access to a full machine shop, so it wasn't a big deal for me. Not something I'd try with a hacksaw and disc grinder. It is something that a local machine shop could make for you without any difficulty, though.

Sadly, the pics on my Cardomain site don't have a closeup of the alternator adapter, mostly because you can't see it (its on the bottom bolt and pretty hidden).

'JustDreamin'
Old 02-01-2007, 03:51 PM
On The Tree

wierd.
I just got off the phone with Autozone this morning.
They told me they didn't have it and that it was a dealer only item.
Now just called them and gave them the part number (DL2301-16-2) and now all of a sudden they can get it! $190

Guess thats what I get for taking the parts counter person word.

thanks kwkenuf
Old 02-02-2007, 02:00 AM
TECH Regular

lol i work at autozone. that dl number is the autozone brand "duralast" and its probly a reman.

it takes maximum 2 days to get parts that arnt in the store. and the duralast stuff always has lifetime warranties.
Old 02-09-2007, 04:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i work for advance and the info in the computer catalog is provided by the manufacturer, so if duralast (in autozones case) or worldwide or palladium in mine, does not provide the correct info , it wont be in the computer. but the cross referenceing of part numbers is in our database wich corporate updates, i.e. sometimes on a rare occasion you can look up a part by application and find nothing but if you have a factory part number and cross it, you can sometimes get someting. this is why we always tell people if they can bring it in we can try to match it up.

i dont mean to hijack this thread (seems like all i do lately) but i get bugged when people forget, that most of the guys that run and work at these places are car guys too.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:14 PM
TECH Resident

Sadly about the only place I ever find "car guys" working at a parts counter around here is Napa--any even that isn't consistant. All of the AutoZone and Advance around here usually have what I'd call "cashiers" working the parts counter. I think you have speak spanish to work at either of those places here though, so that narrows down the people they can hire.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Rodder
I think you have speak spanish to work at either of those places here though, so that narrows down the people they can hire.
-Yo quiero taco bell

Darn! I was going to send them my resume...I knew I should have taken spanish back in high school

BTW, Advance sells the Vette alt,(reman of course),for $120 online only.
And the Vette alt bolt holes are 6'' apart and the truck alt are 5.5''.

Last edited by chrisp3; 02-09-2007 at 09:54 PM. Reason: forgot to add more info

Quick Reply: ?corvette alternator substitute?