Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifter mod/relocate options?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 02:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifter mod/relocate options?

Loooong time no update. Progress has been coming along, but I haven't had time to send updates or update my webpage. Sigh. I'm going to try and do more extensive updates to my webpages Real Soon Now.

Short version: All of the new suspension, steering and brakes is in; the Rick's Hot Rod fuel tank is in; the custom-exhaust is in; the clutch is installed; the new hole in the transmission tunnel was cut and the shifter is sticking through now; the fenders, nose and hood are back on; and the new wheels are on.

I at least uploaded the latest photos:

http://www.ls1bandit.com/g2_embed/g2...g2_itemId=1847
http://www.ls1bandit.com/g2_embed/g2...g2_itemId=1930

The radiator still needs mounting, the wiring harness (speartech) needs to be installed, and the fuel lines need to be connected. After that it will hopefully be driveable. Woohoo!

One somewhat minor thing I need to work out though is the shifter location. It's really damn close to working with the stock automatic console (ironically). However it's a bit far to the left and slightly more forward than I'd like. The forward-part isn't bad, but I'd really like to address the too-far-left. Here's what it looks like:

http://www.ls1bandit.com/g2_embed/g2...g2_itemId=1924

Any ideas on how best to "relocate" it?
Old 02-05-2007, 03:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks like a stock F-body shifter..

1)You can try a a B&M, Hurst, pro5.0 shifter, some of them have sticks that are stright up or bends in the direct you need..

2) You can also go to McLeod for a custom one to your specs... He can build you one that will be moved up to 4" inch in any direction.

3) you can un-bolt that top part of it and try just bolting on a Hust shifter stick that might bend in the direct or location you need. (might also bolt on a flat metal stock and then bolt on the Hurst Stick directly behind the stock stub..

I see ur in Pacifica.. I drop in to Pacifica a lot.. Like to check out your install one of these days.. I was there Sat nigth with my Chevelle..!
Old 02-05-2007, 04:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bczee
Looks like a stock F-body shifter..
Sorry ... yes - it's a 2001 LS1+T56. I'm planning on putting in a Pro5.0 Shifter, but I assumed it would come up in basically the same exact spot. I had originally also been considering a short shifter (like Lou's), but all the short-shifters I've seen are angled left.
2) You can also go to McLeod for a custom one to your specs... He can build you one that will be moved up to 4" inch in any direction.
Any idea rough ballpark of how much it would cost? Any contact info?

I see ur in Pacifica.. I drop in to Pacifica a lot.. Like to check out your install one of these days.. I was there Sat nigth with my Chevelle..!
Yes, I live in Pacifica, however the car is actually in Fremont at Synergy Motorsports. If you're ever in the Fremont area, feel free to drop by and say hello to it.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:02 PM
Restricted User

Can you bolt it on from the other side ?
Then it be more to the right. ?
I like your wheels,
Dale
Old 02-05-2007, 07:42 PM
Launching!

i'd say get one of those basic solid stick shifters from one of our many vendors and bolt it to the other side of the shifter stub. that would put you right about center and give you clearance to shift. there's always the option of fabbing your own shifter using bar stock and some heat.

and those wheels are gorgeous. got any specs on them?
Old 02-05-2007, 08:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by icantdrift
and those wheels are gorgeous. got any specs on them?
Thanks. That was a really tough decision, given their price, but after I saw them, I knew I just had to have them - they work soooo well with the Bandit styling IMHO.

They're Works VSXX's - it's a pretty rare brand, and fortunately one of the only importers is located only 15min from where I work. The fronts are 17x9.5 and the rears are 17x10.5. I chose those sizes because it gave me some flexibility on the size of tires, and since I had to order them long before all of my new suspension, brakes, etc. were installed I really had no sure way of knowing exactly what would work. My hope was to run 275's in the front and 315's in the rear, but my fallback was going to be 255's up front and 295's in the rear. As it turned out, I had to order the tires before I was 100% sure what the fitment would be, so I decided to play it safe and go with 255's and 295's. And unfortunately, everyone was out of stock (around the country) for the 295's, so I ended up with 285's.

As it turns out, I probably would have to do a bit of extra work to get the 315's to fit, so it was probably a good choice. The only downside is that those 285's look a shade funny on the 17x10.5's, though not terrible. Maybe when they're ready to be replaced I'll have a little mini-tub done and go with the 315's. Not sure.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

i had a short throw shifter and it was to the left and i didnt like it. so i just cut it alittle shorter and then cut the shifter at the base at a angle and then just turned it around so it leaned like i wanted. then did the same at the top so it was at the same angle as my hand. you could maybe bolt it on the right and do something like that. maybe not your cup of tea but its an idea. a pic when i first put it on. sand it good and then paint it or something. what ever you want.

Old 02-05-2007, 10:15 PM
ggk
Launching!

do you not like the stock hurst that the those cars came with?
they are straight up then angled back and would make it look stock like it still had the 4 speend in it

ps that car could use some tlc on the undeside lol
needs to be sanded and coated/painted

Last edited by ggk; 02-05-2007 at 10:22 PM.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by LS1Bandit
Sorry ... yes - it's a 2001 LS1+T56. I'm planning on putting in a Pro5.0 Shifter, but I assumed it would come up in basically the same exact spot. I had originally also been considering a short shifter (like Lou's), but all the short-shifters I've seen are angled left.

Any idea rough ballpark of how much it would cost? Any contact info?

Yes, I live in Pacifica, however the car is actually in Fremont at Synergy Motorsports. If you're ever in the Fremont area, feel free to drop by and say hello to it.
Cost is ~350
Old 02-06-2007, 07:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 315's

Originally Posted by LS1Bandit
Thanks. That was a really tough decision, given their price, but after I saw them, I knew I just had to have them - they work soooo well with the Bandit styling IMHO.

They're Works VSXX's - it's a pretty rare brand, and fortunately one of the only importers is located only 15min from where I work. The fronts are 17x9.5 and the rears are 17x10.5. I chose those sizes because it gave me some flexibility on the size of tires, and since I had to order them long before all of my new suspension, brakes, etc. were installed I really had no sure way of knowing exactly what would work. My hope was to run 275's in the front and 315's in the rear, but my fallback was going to be 255's up front and 295's in the rear. As it turned out, I had to order the tires before I was 100% sure what the fitment would be, so I decided to play it safe and go with 255's and 295's. And unfortunately, everyone was out of stock (around the country) for the 295's, so I ended up with 285's.

As it turns out, I probably would have to do a bit of extra work to get the 315's to fit, so it was probably a good choice. The only downside is that those 285's look a shade funny on the 17x10.5's, though not terrible. Maybe when they're ready to be replaced I'll have a little mini-tub done and go with the 315's. Not sure.
Mine has 315's on it without any problems. I had 28x12.50 et streets on it for a while and the 315 are alot shorter, but wider. I have them on a 17x10" wheel, and there isnt any rubbing problems. Josh
Old 02-06-2007, 08:07 AM
TECH Resident

I'm using a Hurst Billet/Plus with the straight chrome stick. The T56 is so far back that I don't need any curve. All Billet/Plus and Comp/Plus should accept the same stick--Summit shows 27 different sticks under the category "hurst shifter sticks".

In 2nd gear:

In 1st gear:
Old 02-06-2007, 09:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can go to the Hurst Web site. they have all of the sticks listed with a drawing of each and they have all of the dimensions of each. (height, offset, and curve back).
Old 02-06-2007, 02:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
Mine has 315's on it without any problems. I had 28x12.50 et streets on it for a while and the 315 are alot shorter, but wider. I have them on a 17x10" wheel, and there isnt any rubbing problems. Josh
Thanks for the info, but I almost got myself into big trouble by going with what worked for someone else. I was going to use the size and offsets that another 2nd gen'er used on his wheels, and then someone else convinced me to take accurate measurements of my setup first. He said that there's a surprising amount of variation between vehicles - even the same year and model. So I measured mine and found that not only were they different from the guy that had given me specs, but my left is different than the right. I've since learned that it's pretty common for GM's to have different spacing left-to-right.

Anyhoo ... I don't think the 315's are out of the realm of possibility on my setup, but I think I might need to do a bit of BFH'ing, if not mini-tubbing, to avoid problems on hard-cornering (I've picked the suspension, steering, baffled/sumped fuel, etc so that I might consider auto-crossing ...).
Old 02-06-2007, 08:16 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Checked your photos, looks like you're getting close. Wheels look great on the Bandit!

Quick Reply: Shifter mod/relocate options?