Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well I have to settle for a LT1 M6

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 02:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Well I have to settle for a LT1 M6

I was saving to do a LS1 swap in my 73 Z28 but now with a kid on the way I had to compermise with the wifey and get a LT1. I really want a 6 speed and the LT1 is a good platform. I know this is ALOT easier than the LS1. It basicly bolts up except for the tranny crossmember. I found 2 write ups on this searching through every thing. Any other help would be nice. I know this is an old swap but some one might know of a site out there.

One more question can I buy a sumped gas tank or do I have to buy a new gas tank and get some local to sump it?

Thanks guys
Old 02-15-2007, 10:05 AM
TECH Resident

i have a question... why settle for an lt1?

I mean you have several blocks to choose from.. 5.3, 5.7 ls1 or ls6, 6.0 iron.. you can even get an aluminum 6.0 ls2 block for under a grand.. You can buy stock 5.3 or ls1 heads around 300.. or ls6s for a tad bit more.. an ls6 intake used around 300.. Anyone with a z06 getting a cam would prob sell you their ls6 cam springs retainers etc, i dont see them wanting more than 300 for that prob more like 200.. stock ls1 crank is strong youd just need pistons rods bearings etc which you could use out of the 5.3 which is the same as the ls1 crank.. So then you just need accessories, PS pump, alternator etc which you can find anywhere.. Advance auto sells new parts pretty cheap if you have one around or you could go to a salvage yard for them..

If i was you, i would do it right, take your time. You wont regret it.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dont give up on the LS1... If you have to wait alittle longer to be able to afford it... its worth the wait. Plus now that there are other engines becoming available, the LS1 price is dropping alittle bit.

I dont want this to turn into an LT1 vs. LS1 debate... So Ill just say this. If you want an LS1...get an LS1. Even if you have to save...you'll be much happier in the long run.

Congrats on wifey being pregnant too!!

Justin
Old 02-15-2007, 11:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly go with the LS1......I like the LT1 but the opti spark is a big pain in the ***.

LT1s are far from being slow, they just need a little extra etc
Old 02-20-2007, 01:13 PM
On The Tree

Well its to late now. I just got back from Vegas with the engine, tranny. harness, and ecu. As soon as I free up some more garage space I will be pulling the old engine and tranny out.

Quick Reply: Well I have to settle for a LT1 M6