Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much hassle?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 09:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much hassle?

I'm looking to put an LS in a firebird (3.8L V6). I've had the car since I was 16, and I really want to keep it. If I drop a turn-key LS1 or LS2 in the car, anybody have a ballpark figure of how much extra I'll have to spend (or want to spend) to make the car compatible? I'm guessing a nicer rear-end and a T56 would be my primary concerns. I would like to put quality parts in there. Not over the top or anything, but parts that will last. Thanks guys.

Last edited by LT1wannabe; 04-11-2007 at 10:04 AM.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This upgrade has been done many times.. please use the Search and FAQ/Sticky's to research the threads of those who have done it already.

Your best bet would be to get a donner car and use everything out of it. As far as Cost.. most drop outs (engine/trans/PCM/wire/accessories) range around the $3500 Avg range (+/- $1000). And i have seen wrecked or scavaged cars for around $5000+ to be used as a good donner.
The more "Quality Part" you want to use.. the higher your cost will be in the end. You can recover some of your cost by selling off some of the part.
I would defer to someone who has done the upgrade to comment on the total cost.