Sponsored by:

Evap Canister Orientation?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 06:19 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Evap Canister Orientation?

Hey guys!

When I pulled the EVAP canister from the 2000 GMC I got the engine from, it was positioned in a vertical orientation infront of the fuel tank, so it was perpendicular with the frame.

Kinda like this:

Now, my truck which is getting the engine has a 41 gallon Suburban fuel injection tank, which has the sump for the fuel pump from the factory, and high pressure connectors. It is a great big square tank, which is mounted between the rear of the frame rails, just behind the rear diff.

Kinda like this:

I was thinking of mounting my canister just above the rear diff, infront of the fuel tank on the bottom side of my box, in a horizontal orientation. The canister will be above the level of the fuel in the tank, and will be out of the way of the diff, but I was wondering if I might be hindering it's ability to work by mounting it sideways as compared to how it was done from the factory...

Thanks!

Russ
Old 04-20-2007, 01:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Inside these canisters are lava rocks which soak up the fumes from your gas tank when the engine isn't running. (This keeps your gas tank from expanding so much while parked out in the sun.) When your engine starts running it opens a solenoid on the intake which vacuum from the engine sucks this canister dry of fumes and burns the fumes through the engine. The only problem is you have to be really careful with this so that the lava rocks do not break up cause they can get sucked through the engine. Fuel overflowing from the tank can get into the canister which causes these rocks to break up. They typically wont hurt you engine other than clog up things such as egr valves and any other things they cant block up.
Hope this helps some. Lee
Old 04-21-2007, 02:45 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alright, so orientation should be alright then -- It won't be possible for raw fuel to make it into the canister, it sits a good 3 - 4" above the highest point of the fuel tank

Quick Reply: Evap Canister Orientation?