Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 10:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 78 Posts

Default Converting A4 to M6 and Vice Versa

I have two LT1 based Z28's
'94 Z28 383 A4 3.42
'96 Z28 383 M6 4.10

I'd promised my daughter ever since she was old enough to communicate that when she became a legal driver (now 6 months away) that the '96 was hers. She now has her permit and is driving the '94 because it's the automatic and is not near the heavy hitter that is the '96 Solid Roller cam'd car. She's quite comfortable driving the A4 and, when asked, said she'd prefer an automatic tranny in the '96. So... my question is, is there a stand alone 4L60E shift manager or do I just need to get the harness from a 95 - 97 A4 car so the PCM can manage shifting duties? Otherwise, I'm sure it's just pulling the pedals, crossmembers, etc from one car to the other. It would be great if there is just some 'blackbox' by JET or someone that can command behavior. I know there are a lot of conversions out there for putting LSx engines/trannys into old muscle cars, etc.
Thanks,
Dave

Last edited by mightyquickz28; 04-22-2007 at 08:57 AM.
Old 04-22-2007, 08:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The L460E in the 94 is not the same one used in a 96 car. A PCM for a 96 will not control it. Although I ca't remember who. I know that there are several companies that make standalone controlers for different auto trannies.

Not to be a jerk, but what so special about the 96 that she has to have it. Sounds like I'd just give her the 94. It's a lot less work and money.

Re'
Old 04-22-2007, 08:52 AM
TECH Addict

She was born in '91 and I bought the '96 in Nov '95. She's been driven around near daily in the '96 since then. She's gone to the drag races with me on a lot of race days. She knows a lot of the HoustonFbody people and knows the high quality of the group. This car represents a lot of great memories and thrills for her and myself. The relationship between her and myself is immensely strong because her mother always had mental problems (spent time in an lockup institution) and we havent' heard from her mother in years. Even when she was around, she was more of an egg donor than a person of importance or nurture. Alex (my daughter) and I have bonded on many levels and one of the fun ones has been the '96. The '94 was just handy for a fill in while my '96 motor was being rebuilt. It has no 'fun' history. If you've followed many of my posts the past 3 years, I've had a ton of issues with the '94. All to be expected of a high mileage 13 yr old car. As far as the work on the cars, I love doing that. A neighbor of mine once remarked, "I feel like such a wimp. I dread just changing the oil in my Nissan, but I drove by your house Sat morning and saw you had a differential and a transmission beside your car. You had them installed by Sunday". I had swapped out my 10 bolt for the Ford 8.8 hybrid differential and removed the TH350, reinstalled the T56.
Old 04-22-2007, 08:56 AM
TECH Addict

Oh, on the 94 vs later 4L60E, yes, there is an extra solenoid in the '95 and later transmissions to be articulated via the PCM. I do have the OBDI conversion on the '96 car and I have several A4 flash files for each of the transmission types.
96, a4, m6, z28