Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

66 nova ls1 conversion ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 07:14 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nova65, do you have a stock front clip, or aftermarket? I'm not real sure that it matters for the tranny, but obviously the mounts are different, so I figured I'd ask.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:22 PM
Staging Lane

I have a TCI front and TCI 4 link rear. I did have to modify the trans x member that came with the 4 link and purchased the front clip w/o the motor mount towers welded and put them where I wanted them. It is a tight fit in the tunnel and I did get the shiftworks linkage to work on Sunday.
Attached Thumbnails 66 nova ls1 conversion ?'s-garage-071.jpg  
Old 06-20-2007, 12:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by pmcclelland99
Sorry, what I meant to ask is if a 4L60E will fit it the tunnel, I already have a turbo 350 in there now. I tried asking around on stevesnovasite.com, but no one could answer about a 4L60E. Any other help is appreciated.

Phil
I am currently doing a 5.3l/4l60e in my 62 wagon and was told by Street & Performance that the tunnel did not need modified with their xmember. They have a 63 wagon that they have used for parts mock up, I believe.

However, I haven't got that far yet.

Brian
Old 06-21-2007, 08:32 PM
On The Tree

I suggest getting the whole donor vehicle. (everytime I work on it I say that to myself)

I'm doing a 66 Nova I put full c4 chassis underneath.

had to narrow the dana44 by 3 inches.

Went with a 2004 GTO motor with the 6speed..

I just solved my O2 sensor delima.

and am now working on the power steering lines.

Next is the radiator and fans support.

I'm 3 years into a solo build with a couple months taken off here and there.

Oh yeah and you better have a big Garage because the wife's been pissed about me using here dining room as a new parts storage room.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:41 AM
Teching In

Yeah, I'm hoping to get it done for me while I'm gone to Iraq, just for the fact of my wife not wanting everything scattered around, and being able to park in the garage with my Chevy II. Nova65 sent me some pics and it looks a bit simpler that what I had originally thought, still difficult, but a tad easier on the wallet. He also said the f-body pan fit with a little more clearance than the truck pan and the gto pan i believe. I don't really care about having to modify the x-member, easier than the tunnel.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:09 AM
Teching In

What kind of accesories is everyone running on the front of the LS1's in thier Chevy II's? I have a TCI clip, so I need to know if there is anything I can do about puting a belt/accesory setup in there with out dropping $1200 on a March setup. I want everything but the power steering.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

I am using the stock F-body stuff except for the A/C. The alternator fits in the TCI clip but the A/C will not. I am going to have a passenger side high mount made for the Sandne compressor I am using.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:44 AM
Launching!

With the Heidts I have everything. Not using the PS but the pump is there. The A/C fits with a small notch in the mounting bracket to clear the S&P engine mount, otherwise the F body parts fit no problem.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:28 PM
Teching In

Novasforever, where are you getting the bracket made? I was looking into different things, but all of them are complete pulley and bracket sets, and the cheapest one I found was from March. I'm basically looking for a simpler, more cost effective way for things to work for now, then worry about dress up.

Hey 67Pete do you have any pics of the notch you cut in the engine mount?

e-mail any pics to: pmcclelland99@msn.com

Thanks for the help, Phil
Old 06-27-2007, 03:33 PM
Teching In

Default 63 Chevy Ii

I Am Running The Tci Front And Rear Setup And A '05 6.0l Truck Engine In Mine With All Of The Accessories. The Truck Pan Gives You A Ton Of Clearance For The Crossmember But Hangs Down A Couple Of Inches Past The X Member(probably Going To A Camaro Pan Or Possibly Welding In A New Bottom To The Truck Pan) . The Only Thing I Did With The Accessries Is Move The Alternator To The Passenger Side And Eliminate The Huge Alt Bracket From The Driver Side. I Was Able To Use The Top Hole Of The Original Idler Pulley Mounting Point On The Water Pump For The Top Mount Of The Alternator And Made A Custom Adjuster For The Bottom Side Of The Alt. This Dropped It Down And Gave The Top Of The Motor A Cleaner Look. I Ditched The Truck Intake Manifold And Throttle By Wire Throttle Body And Went With A Camaro Intake And Tbody For The Cable Actuator. We Made The Motor Adapter Plates(and Used Stock Sbc Mounts) And Transmission Crossmember As Well As A New Idler Pulley Bracket All Out Of 3/8" Plate So It Is All Plenty Strong. We Made Absolutely No Modifications To The Body And Fit The 4l60 With No Problem And Still Ended Up With A Ton Of Ground Clearance As Well As Exhaust Clearance Thanks To The FLAT X Member Wish Me Luck As I Still Have The Wiring To Do.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:34 AM
Launching!

Actually, I notched the A/C bracket. I'll try to get a picture....
Old 06-28-2007, 11:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

I just ordered my AC yesterday and will have a member here from Blue Springs, MO make the passenger side high mount bracket for me. I DID NOT want to pay thousands for mounts and or pulleys. I am sure Jake will do a great job on the AC bracket. Once I get it all bolted up and sorted out I may be able to get you one for a reasonable cost. Stay tuned.
Old 06-28-2007, 05:43 PM
Teching In

Great Thread. I am also starting a '66 or should I say my 14 year old son is starting the project. He always wanted a Nova, I bought a GTO crate LS1 and plan on using a Height's Front clip. We are only in the disassembly stage so we can get it to the paint and body shop. I am going with a carb so it looks a little retro. Keep us posted on progress so I can gel some plans.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After doing some searching, I found this thread. THANK YOU!!
Ill be ordering my Heidts front end for my Wagon very soon
Old 08-01-2007, 12:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

I ordered my AC from Classic Auto Air so now I have my Sanden compressor. I am mocking up the mounts for a high passenger location and at this point something must be wrong, becasue I don't think it is going to be a huge deal! I have someone to machine them lined up so I will be ready to go soon. My engine is out of an F-body so the mounts wouldn't help everyone out but at least some of us.

More later.

Quick Reply: 66 nova ls1 conversion ?'s