Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1 in a third gen camaro

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 01:14 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ls1 in a third gen camaro

Ok ive been to a couple of websites already that show me what all ima need to do this. The thing is wiring! Is it going to be a pain to get the wiring done on this car? Ive never talked to anybody that has done a swap so i dont know. Is there alot of problems that i can run into with this project?
Old 07-28-2007, 01:26 AM
On The Tree

Ok. Alot of open ended question there...
First off.. search. But instead of being a dick and sending you on your way there's a couple of things:
1.) I don't know how extensively you;ve worked on engines before, but the LS1 is an easier swap than either the TPIs or LT series because almost all of the wiring is self contained. If you're good with electronics you can try your hand at custom splicing the existing harness, but if you're like me, just buy a custom one from Speartech. They're like 750 bucks and totally worth it.
2.) If you plan accordingly, the swap should go pretty smoothly. People run into problems when they half *** the thing.
3.) Be prepared to spend money. Set a budget, but recognize that if you run into hiccups along the way, you'll need to have some money saved to fix the problems.

All in all, Good luck.
Old 07-28-2007, 02:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

There are options with aftermarket wiring harnesses, depends on what you want and how much you want to spend. I'm assuming you've checked out www.thirdgen.org already, they have an engine conversion forum and you'll find information on anything.

Good luck and have fun with it!
Old 07-28-2007, 03:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

depends on what you want to run from the factory setup as far as the wiring goes. the fans can be setup several ways...

you can hook up the grounds, ign. power, batt power and delete vats and other items you may not want to use from the pcm and it will run. add the diagnostic connector is very simple.

you may need to decide how you want to run your guage-coolant temp. I put my old sensor in the passanger head. some people drill a spot on top of the water pump. * if you put the old sensor in the head you either have to turn the temp sensor down and thread it to a 12mm thread or drill the sensor hole in the head and tap it for the larger sensor.

you need to also deside how you want to run the coolant hoses you may need to drill a hole in the water pump or make and adapter for the steem return hose. I ran mine to the radiator but I made a 3/4"-5/16" adapter and also retained the 3rd gen heater valve.

if nothing else plan on a "real" tuning program even if you only remove things like vats, rear o2 sensors, egr, air injection. , set the tach output and set your speedo ect. this in it's self is a large chunk of the swap price but will pay for it's self if you need to change and delete or add things. mine already has!

what do you plan to use for headers? who will do the fab work. I decided the stock manifolds where best at this point in time but I spend alot of time making a y-pipe.

what year ls1 are you looking at getting? decide and ASK as well as search because through out the years they did change some small things that you can't overlook such as the 98 alt. signal! (needs a 470 ohm resistor to a 12v source.. with out the resistor the regulator burns out)

finally motor mounts. I used the spohn swap ones. worked out very well but you still have to check your oil pan clearance and dent in the frame weld as needed.

I see you have an 89 iroc so your swap would be almost identical

Last edited by 89 formula350; 07-28-2007 at 03:18 PM.

Quick Reply: ls1 in a third gen camaro