Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 vs. "standard" SBC?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2003 | 11:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Default LS1 vs. "standard" SBC?

How does the LS1 compare (size wise) to a standard small block Chevy (like would be in a 1960 Corvette)? My dad and I always wanted to swap an LS1/T56 into a 1960 Corvette but the consideration was how it would fit and what would need to be changed.

- Which is wider/longer and by how much (dimensions would be nice)?
- How do the motor mounts compare (placement and style)?
- Anything else that would need changing?

While not "engine":

- How does the T56 compare (dimensions) to a 3 or 4 speed GM tranny?

Chris
Old 05-27-2003 | 08:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: LS1 vs.

You might try in the Hybrid / Conversion section. I think it is actually smaller. You might try Corvetteforum.com. I saw where this guy had put in a LS6 in a 50 somthing vette. He has a whole web page about it.

Good Luck, sounds like a nice project.

Look here, guy has one in a 66 vette
https://ls1tech.com/threads/showflat...=7&fpart=1
Old 05-31-2003 | 07:32 PM
Teching In

the LS1 is about 25" tall from bottom of F-body pan to top of intake, about 27" long from bellhousing to front of water pump pulley, and i believe its only slightly wider. im not too familiar with motor mounts or T56 size. SBC can be made shorter front to rear by using a water pump that mounts like other accessories and by using a combination damper/pulley, but the LS1 is a much better engine, also something like 65lbs lighter.
Old 06-16-2003 | 06:24 PM
TECH Resident

I saw a 1960 corvette at the 'corvette classic' held recently at the texas motor speedway that was sporting a LS6. the entire chassis and suspension was redone with mostly C5 parts. I don't know what tranny was in it, but it had a 6 speed shift pattern plate glued where you would ordinarilly see the 4 speed pattern. it was a very trick looking car. I've seen a few others like it. at the Detroit Dream Cruise last year, the boys from GM Tech Center had a 55 Bel Air and a 63 Corvette sitting on C5 chassis. talk about having the best of both worlds.........

Quick Reply: LS1 vs. "standard" SBC?