Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PNP wire question

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 07:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 195 Likes on 141 Posts

It does work, car has been on the road for almost 4 years now. The ACC wires to like the radio and such, do go dead in the crank position, but the IGNITION wire, the one originally hooked to the distributor, that all the pink wires get hooked to STAYS HOT in crank, otherwise the engine would never start. It's that wire I used. Hope this makes sense.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:50 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
It does work, car has been on the road for almost 4 years now. The ACC wires to like the radio and such, do go dead in the crank position, but the IGNITION wire, the one originally hooked to the distributor, that all the pink wires get hooked to STAYS HOT in crank, otherwise the engine would never start. It's that wire I used. Hope this makes sense.
Sure does man. Thanks for checking back in on this for me.

My car is a 66 Nova that was completely dismantled when I got it. So I do not know "exactly" which wire went to the distibutor out of the harness. But as long as I peel back the main fuse panel tape (which I have to do anyways for something else) and find the main pink one, I'll be OK, right?

Thanks again for responding!!!

By the way, do you ever go on Steves?
Old 04-06-2012, 10:04 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 66 BADBOY
But as long as I peel back the main fuse panel tape (which I have to do anyways for something else) and find the main pink one, I'll be OK, right?
I'm not sure what color the wire would be on a '66 Nova, but i,m thinking red. At any rate, you should be able to find it pretty easily with a test light. Also it should be noted that you will probably need to change this wire at the firewall bulkhead connector because the original wire is a resistor wire for the old points distributor, it cuts the voltage to avoid burning up the points, and you'll want a full 12 volts to your ignition relay powering up your PCM.

As for Steve's Nova Site, i've looked at it a couple of times, but I'm on too many forums already to spend much time there1 LOL!
Old 04-24-2012, 04:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Since someone open this old and past thread.

I was trying to get my column shifter PRND switch to work correctly, as I am using the Column shifter, a Lokar/Shiftworks type of conversion kit (a new rod directly off of the column shift to the trans.

I see that now the indicator is off (expected that). But what is troublesome, the Neutral seem to be more on the Reverse side of the detent (yes, i have tried to adjust the location on the switch). If in Neutral, the starter might not engage unless I move/shift it back and fort.. Also Reverse is more to the Park side and may not light up the reverse lights.

Any suggestions ? I am also working on the one or two Relay setup that you guys posted. Going to do more research but since this one was open. I figure I ask you guys 1st..

BC
Old 04-24-2012, 05:03 PM
TECH Veteran

I've found all the older neutral safety switches to be somewhat sloppy, so you have to find a happy medium. Is it when when you shift from reverse to neutral you can get it to work, but not drive to neutral? I generally set it up so the reverse lights come on easily when shifting from park to neutral, but you have to play with the shifter to get them to coime on when going from neutral to reverse, but I figure I dont do that as much as park to reverse.

Not sure this answers your question though.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

It just verify what I am encountering, I am hoping to find some mod.s that would solve these issue of the loose column shifter to PRND switch. I.d hate to spend money on a new steering column.

Thanks

BC
Old 04-25-2012, 07:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Talking I used..

the clutch output wire on the PNP to trigger a relay. The purple wire from the key to the starter sol goes thru this relay. The car will start in P or N, only.
The combo is a engine/4L60E out of a 05 H2....
There is a cheapo tool to correctly set the PNP,,,Got mine off the Bag..About $12 AIRC.

The column is a Flaming Riv, column shifter/Lokar rod hook up. NP with indicator accuracy.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Geezer.. don't have a clutch setup. .so that isn't in the picture. But can you tell me more about that tool and where to get ?.. part number ?

I email Shiftworks. Just got a reply. They attribute this symptom to the PG trans options and suggest using a TH350/400 switch on the Column. As the spacing between the P and R are greater on the PG as compared to a TH350/400.

Guess I'll look into picking up one. Wonder if there are other later model 700R4 / 4L60 ones that might be usable.?

BC
Old 04-25-2012, 09:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you guys look at the original wiring diagrams the starter goes through the neutral safety switch. The switch also controls the reverse lights. On the newer cars ther starter wire does not go through the safety switch. The safety switch is tied to the PCM. The PCM does control the idle differently in gear than it does when in park. A lot of the aftermarket tuners will make those the same but the park idle is 100rpm higher than the drive idle. Also it may control the keep alive function which the VSS is part of like the older TPI units that were mentioned earlier and the motor would want to die. When you guys use the older switch and a newer trans the indents don't match with the older indents which is why shiftworks has the kits in the first place. You may get away with setting the switch so that it just goes into drive and it should work but it may be off on the reverse but park has some adjustability.
Old 07-04-2020, 01:13 PM
Teching In

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

8 year old thread, but still great info, and the search feature does it's job..

The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (07-04-2020)
Old 07-04-2020, 07:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by iigw
8 year old thread, but still great info, and the search feature does it's job..
It's a 12 year old thread, but who's counting! LOL My car has been wired like I showed in post 17 for 12 years, still works great.

Quick Reply: PNP wire question