Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C in Camaro with LS1

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2003, 10:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C in Camaro with LS1

I have the S&P motor mounts so I can not use the original A/C compressor on the original spot. I was looking at it today to mount it up and run with the same belt but a longer one. It looks like can be done but I have to have a kind of straight termostat housing. Does anyone make an after market or came stock on any wehicle what I need?
Or any other solution to mount an LS1 compressor on top?
Thanks for any replays.
Old 08-05-2003, 12:29 AM

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: A/C in Camaro with LS1

I manufacture an aftermarket bracket for $350 + shipping. It requires the use of an LT1 tensioner & A/C compressor. Here's an installed pic
Old 08-05-2003, 11:20 AM
Staging Lane

67LS1T56,

S&P also sells a thermostat housings in 10, 30, or 45 degree angles if that will help you out. Have you talked to Marc over at S&P about your dilemma? I have the Corvette pulley setup on my 69 Camaro, and they make a bracket to mount the AC up top.

http://www.hotrodlane.cc/onlinecatal...alogpage59.jpg

However, there is a difference between the LS1 setup you have and the LS6 setup I have. I would ask Mark if they make that setup for the LS1.
If not, here is a great idea: (if money is not an option) You can buy the Vette pulley system from S&P, or buy the Vette pulleys from a totalled vehicle, etc. you get the idea.
Go here to see my setup on the 69 Camaro:

http://araweb.logicmate.com/robert/

Hope that helps!

See ya,
Robert
Old 08-05-2003, 11:23 AM
Staging Lane

Hey there, I just checked with S&P and they now make a straight thermostat housing. I'm not sure why that helps you...but if it does...cool!

See ya,
Robert
Old 08-05-2003, 10:31 PM
Staging Lane

S&P makes a bracket to mount the sanden comp. but $300. plus the compressor $200. It is $500 out of my pocket.
Since I have the compressor for LS1(I have to change the clutch/pulley for a wider one and i dont even know if that can be done) I was thinking to make a bracket to use what I have.
I'm planning to mount it by the head and route the belt by the term. housing. It looked like it will clear if I have the straight term./ housing.
Altough By looking at John's set up I can use a idler pulley and dont need a straight water neck. i have to see what i can do?
Old 08-06-2003, 12:12 PM
Teching In

If you plan on using a Vintage Air system in your 67 I would suggest you call them to see if the LS1 compressor will work with it. I have heard from several sources (haven't talked to Vintage Air myself) that it will not. I also have heard from 67LS1CamaroProject on this board that it will, so you may want to confirm before you go to the trouble of fabricating a bracket.
Nick

Quick Reply: A/C in Camaro with LS1