Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

braided hose for clutch

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 01:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default braided hose for clutch

Guess I am going to "bend over" and buy the Mcleod cross-pin adapter for the T56 slave cylinder for $45.

Now I need a 36" clutch hydraulic hose. I see that Mcleod has a steel braided -4 hose with female -4AN fittings for $102. Russell and NOS both sell what appears to be a steel braided teflon lined hose with -4AN ends for about $30, but it is listed for fuel or nitrous applications. Will this hold the pressure of a clutch system, or do I need to buy the big bucks clutch hose?
Old 05-29-2008, 01:35 PM
Launching!

Use the Russell adapter, which is AN-3 male. Then use -3 ready-made flexible "brake" line, which you can get from Russell or the local speed shop. You then have to figure out what to do at the clutch master cyl end. Making-up your own lines is MUCH more expensive than purchasing ready-made lines. If you need a long run like 36", use (2) 18" with an AN-3 male/male union in the middle. BTW, why so long? an 18" was all we needed for our swap.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:43 PM
Staging Lane

I am going from the clutch slave adapter fitting directly to a 3/4" Wilwood master cylinder on the firewall. I had heard that a -3 might be a little small for a long clutch line...
Old 05-29-2008, 03:58 PM
rao
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would think in a Miata that 36" would put either the master cylinder or the transmission in the trunk

Hinson Supercars sells a fairly long hose with the stock GM fitting on one end and an AN fitting on the other.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Summit sells every manner of adapter imaginable. Thier web site lets you select the parts by specifying the ends and then the lengths. Russel makes lines with different fittings on each end in all different lengths. I think I bought one russel brake line with a metric fitting on one end an SAE on the other, right out of the summit catalog.

A clutch does move more fluid, but the -3 line should be sufficient.

AN fittings are so much better than anytype of flare fitting when it comes to taking them on and off.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:36 PM
Launching!

I picked up my braided line from Hinson Supercars for the Cobra. Here's a link to his stuff. Shoot him an email with the length you'll need. I had him make one that as 42'' long for my application..
http://www.hinsonsupercars.com/p-41-...ydraulics.aspx

Tails
Old 05-30-2008, 11:26 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the help - I bought the -3AN Russell adapters and a Summit braided "brake" line with -3 female ends.

Quick Reply: braided hose for clutch