Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible StingRay Project - Input Wanted

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 01:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

[QUOTE=Blk98Bird;9529770]
After doing a bit more research I'm thinking of looking for an LQ4, doing L92 heads, and cam is still up in the air.
QUOTE]

Hard to beat that combo for the cost.
I'm doing an LQ9 in my 68 vette (slightly higher CR than the LQ4).
I thought I would try the LS6 intake and Z06 exhaust manifolds and see how the performance was. Then I might upgrade the heads and intake. The cost of the L92 heads/L76 intake from GM is really reasonable too.
Gary
Old 06-10-2008, 02:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im running an ls1/t56 combo in my 69 with hooker sidepipes, you can run the o2 sensors sideways, slightly vertical without clearancing your frame, in fact they tuck quite nicely up against the floorboards. my car is in the vehicle classifieds, you can see pics of it there. as far as the handling goes, i think with the proper set up you would be way ahead of the f-body. even with completely stock (old) suspension my car drives fantastic. with modern rubber, good suspension the thing would be a beast. mileage is killer too, i got 27 mpg last road trip i took. highly recommend this swap for anyone with a stingray.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:43 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Blk98Bird
Figured I'd throw another question in here for those of you with a similar setup.

Have you driven both the C3 and Fbody? How would you compare the handling characteristics? I know I'm looking at 70s/80s technology vs. the newer setup in my sig but just wondering what I can expect. I figured with the much lighter weight and better balance of the C3, a decent suspension setup may put me past where I was before.

I'll add that right now, I'm not planning to pick up one of the newer C3 frames that take C4 or C5 suspensions.
Compared to my 02 T/A, my 69 vette's handling absolutely sucks! I would have thought the IRS would be better, but it is nothing like my C5 was.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:43 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

That is just for the plates....
Old 06-10-2008, 05:13 PM
Launching!

As far as the sidepipes and o2 sensors,when i first did it i notched the frame.Now that i just replaced the frame im not going to notch it and angle them slightly i have plenty of room.

Im running 275/50/17's on a 17x9.5 rim but im slightly flared also.If i remove my sway bar i can fit a 17x11 and a 335.

Now as far as handling my suspension is completely changed to almost all vette brake products stuff and also lowered too and it handles great way better then my brothers ss camaro.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by garys 68
Hard to beat that combo for the cost.
I'm doing an LQ9 in my 68 vette (slightly higher CR than the LQ4).
I thought I would try the LS6 intake and Z06 exhaust manifolds and see how the performance was. Then I might upgrade the heads and intake. The cost of the L92 heads/L76 intake from GM is really reasonable too.
Gary
Yeah it looked like a great combo for the price, especially considering I don't need to go too radical for my goals.

That being said, I've yet to see a "proven" cam choice for that setup (sort of like LS1 + TR224) so I'm still a bit foggy there. I know I can go a bit bigger than usual because of the flow on those heads though...

Interesting range of feedback from people about the handling although it's subjective so I probably should have expected that .

Good thing I have plenty of time to ask questions, I probably won't move forward until closer to winter unless I see a killer deal on a stingray with blown motor out there...

Quick Reply: Possible StingRay Project - Input Wanted