Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is this, and do I need it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 09:13 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is this, and do I need it?

I am currently building a car that uses the C5 Vette trans/diff combo mated directly to a 5.3L from a 99 truck. I thought I found all the wiring information I needed here, until I came across the following picture (borrowed from E. Green on Corvetteforum):

This is a picture of a C5 trans. Can someone tell me what the black module is? I am assuming that it is a gear shift position indicator, but I haven't seen anything like this on any wiring diagrams. I know the Corvette shifter is shorter than the F-body because of the torque tube, so I was wondering if this module is normally in the console of a F-body. However, I haven't seen anyone mention the need to hook up any wires to this. So, what is this and do I need it? The trans I bought didn't have this attached.

Complete setup details:

99 5.3L engine with LS1 intake mounted backwards
98 C5 4L60E
99 truck engine wiring harness
00 truck fuse box

Thanks for the help.
Ken
Old 06-17-2008, 09:27 AM
rao
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is definitely the gear position indicator; called the "PNP". If the ECU expects it then you need it if the car going to be manual or auto. I ran into this when we converted a H2 to manual transmission. We ended up just putting it in Neutral and hiding it out of the way. Here is the diagram for it on a 05 Corvette.
Attached Thumbnails What is this, and do I need it?-tiftogif.gif