Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trans problem.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2003, 08:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default trans problem.

it is an 02 auto with only 3,000 miles on it . I finished up my conversion and went to pull it out of the shop but it wouldnt pull. it was as if there wasnt enough fluid in it . I added 2 quarts and still nothing. I put it on jack stands and the tires would turn a little but I could stop them with my hand. I did seperate the trans and engine in order to put the engine on a stand . and I bolted in all back like is was originally when I was ready for the install. there is no fluid getting to radiator . its as if the pump isnt working.any sugestions? has this happened to anyone before?
Old 08-23-2003, 09:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: trans problem.

That is EXACTLY what happened to me. It is not good news. When you put the converter back in you did not get it seated all the way back. Then when you bolted the tranny to the motor, it broke the pump. I ended up having a shop go completely through my trans. because there was real fine pieces of metal all through it. That was a real bummer. I could be wrong but I would bet the bank that is what happened. Everything you wrote was what happened to me. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. John
Old 08-25-2003, 04:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: trans problem.

This is happening to me right now. Evidently there are 2 types of torque converters for 4L60E transmissions. A B85 and a B29. The LS1 uses a B85. When I put my powertrain together the torque converter clicked in 3 times but when bolted to the motor, rested over 0.5 inches from the flexplate. When it was bolted to the flexplate, it has disengaged the transmission pump. You have to go and get a B85 torque converter. After the B85 part is a 4 digit code for the year and model. For 2001 Camaro, it is a B85-TMAX. This B85 part number is transmission shop part designation. I am picking one up for my car. It is around $95 for the converter with a $50 core. The problem is that no other vehicles use the B85. It was only used in LS1 Camaro, Corvette, and full size truck and trailblazer just started using it. Before that everything with a 4l60E including LT1 camaro, Impala, caprice, Astro, S10, Blazer, pickup, HD, everything used the B29 converter. Good luck. I hope this fixes my issue too.

Quick Reply: trans problem.