Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calif Smog laws

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2003, 02:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calif Smog laws

To those of you putting LS1s into Calif cars - Can you explain to me the smog law regarding newer engines in older cars? Is it that cars older than (25?) years just don't require smog testing or can you get away with an LS1 in a car less than 25 years old that had say a 6 cylinder as long as you keep all the original LS1 smog equipment? Is there a web page that explains this in detail? thanks.
Old 08-30-2003, 02:28 PM
On The Tree

Default Re: Calif Smog laws

The current California smog laws is as follows:

Any car manufactured prior to 1974 does NOT have to get smogged. Technically, you can still get a citation if it does not have all the originally installed smog equipement, but this rule has NEVER been enforced and probably never will. This means if your car is a 1973 or older you can make ANY modifications you want and don't have to worry about the smog police.

In 2004 this will change, so that any car OLDER than 30 years will also not have any smog requirements. So, 1 model year will be added every year.

You are also, correct in that cars that DO fall into emmissions requirements can get an engine swapped into them from any vehicle you can imagine as long as:

A) The engine is newer than the vehicle it is being swapped into.

B) ALL emmissions equipment that came originally equipped in the donor vehicle stays with the engine and is fully functional in its new home.

C) The engine being swapped is from the same "class" of vehicle as car it is being swapped in to. IE: you can't put a heavy duty truck engine which is not held to the same emissions requirements into a passenger vehicle.
Old 08-31-2003, 04:35 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the information. I found some more information on JTR's web page as well. JTR mentions that you can't put truck engines into passenger cars because truck engines have less stringent emissions that cars. What I can't find is when you go to a higher displacement engine. I.e. is it allowed to go from a 4.4L to a 5.7L engine as long as all the emissions are there?
Old 09-05-2003, 01:25 PM
On The Tree

Well, I think you know the answer to that if you've seen JTR's website. You can go up in displacement in any vehicle, again as long as it is considered a passenger car engine, retains all smog equipment, and is newer than the vehicle it is going into... you are set.

JTR's likes to keep all their cars CAlifornia smog legal... and I KNOW S-10's didn't come equipped with V8's.

The only other thing to remember, is that if you want it smog legal, there can be no cutting corners, as when it is done you will have to take it to a referee station to have it certified, and they know their stuff. They will go over the car with a fine-toothed comb to make sure it meets all the requirements. In fact, I beleive JTR recommends that you contact them with any questions, as they know the rules the best and will tell you which components CAN and CAN'T be used.

Quick Reply: Calif Smog laws