Sponsored by:

LS1 vs LQ4 Water Pumps

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 04:02 PM
LT.
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 vs LQ4 Water Pumps

What is the depth difference between the two water pumps and will everything interchange? I have a '04 6.0L LQ4 and I am really crammed for space with my electric fan and radiator. I know the LS motors have a shorter snout on the water pump so thought that might be a better option for me since I can't place the motor back any further than it already is.

Also would the throttle cable brackets from the early '99 - '01 6.0L fit on my newer 6.0L? I converted to a mechanical throttle body since I am running a 700r4 behind the engine. Thanks again.

LT
Old 09-17-2008, 01:06 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It wont be a direct bolt on. The WP on the f-body has the pulley 3/4" closer to the engine. However if you keep the truck accy belt routing the upper rad hose would exit through the belt if you used a f-body pump.

The TB cable brackets should work, but IIRC there is 1 bolt hole on your intake that does not have a threaded insert in it. That hole was not used for Fly by wire, but cable TB brackets use is. I think a few people have just set a bolt in it to keep the bracket from turning.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

No sure but I think the truck water pump interferes with the ls1 intake manifold.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:42 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes it does, but I think he is going the other way. I think he has a truck intake and wants to switch to a f-body pump for additional fan room.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

My understanding is that the pumps are the same, except for the outlet on the front of the LS and on top of the LQ. The pulleys are different and can be changed between the 2 pumps.
If you gop to the LS pump, the pulley will be farther back. That means you'll need an LS ballancer and LS accessory brackets to keep everything aligned.

As for changing to cable TB. I hope you realize you'll need a computer and harness for cable TB. The DBW does not have provisions for IAC.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:45 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Its not the truck pump its the belt routing of the truck accessories to a car intake that is an issue. But OP doesn't have that problem.
The LS1/LS2 replacement water pumps come with an extra wide pully to fit various applications. Get the LS2 pump and see if the rest of your accessory drive parts still line up.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:01 AM
On The Tree

You putting this motor in one of your FJ's, should have plenty of room. Hows the propane work out on the trails?
Old 09-17-2008, 10:12 AM
LT.
Teching In

Originally Posted by garys 68
My understanding is that the pumps are the same, except for the outlet on the front of the LS and on top of the LQ. The pulleys are different and can be changed between the 2 pumps.
If you gop to the LS pump, the pulley will be farther back. That means you'll need an LS ballancer and LS accessory brackets to keep everything aligned.

As for changing to cable TB. I hope you realize you'll need a computer and harness for cable TB. The DBW does not have provisions for IAC.
I bought a Howell Fuel Injection harness so everything that I do not need is eliminated.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:14 AM
LT.
Teching In

Originally Posted by 69LT1Bird
Its not the truck pump its the belt routing of the truck accessories to a car intake that is an issue. But OP doesn't have that problem.
The LS1/LS2 replacement water pumps come with an extra wide pully to fit various applications. Get the LS2 pump and see if the rest of your accessory drive parts still line up.
Cool, I might try that. My only concern converting to the LS water pump is the radiator outlet is now low and in the area of my radiator... so it is really a toss up. Just might try to make what I have work and if not plan B. Start cutting sheet metal
Old 09-17-2008, 10:18 AM
LT.
Teching In

Originally Posted by 70Nova SS
You putting this motor in one of your FJ's, should have plenty of room. Hows the propane work out on the trails?
I would normally have room if it was going into a standard FJ40. However this is going into my FJ45LV which is a rare 4 door wagon version. My drivetrain is about 6ft long with the LQ4, 700r4, 6" adapter, transfer case and the transfer case is within 1/2" or less from hitting the back of the tranny tunnel. So... my options are limited and I refuse to do a body lift. I already have it sprung over that has given me 5" of lift.

Propane works great on the trails. We call it poor mans version of fuel injection. Don't have to worry about computers, fuel pumps or really that much tuning. My problem is the engine I am running the propane on. The original inline 6 motor is at 7.8:1 compression which leaves much to be desired for power and fuel efficiency. I am going to be putting an earlier model straight 6 head that will bump my compression up to around 9.0:1 or greater hopefully which will really help out.

Quick Reply: LS1 vs LQ4 Water Pumps