Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

Idea of a vert roll bar

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 11:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Idea of a vert roll bar

Has anyone ever just gotten a main hoop from wolf and doing the 5th, 6th point bars instead of the back bars? You'd have room for back seat passengers and no worry as much about people hitting the back bars. Not saying it would be track safe but I'm guessing/hoping that the front bars going to the front seat would be strudy enough to hold if there was a roll over. What's your guys thoughts?
Old 02-26-2009, 01:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you do that, I would go through the floor and weld the main hoop directly to the subframe. Supposedly the A-pillar can protect you in a rollover so I'd think it would hold. On the other hand door bars, even with swing-outs are a bit of a pain when you can't swing the door wide open to get in and out of car.

I thought about that but using bars going down in the footwell of the back seats. They wouldn't be near anyone's head, but might risk a knee.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I modified the back bars on the Wolfe so I can seat people in the back. I moved the seat belt pedestals in appr. 1" and have the bars mount to the outside of the pedestals. I know the danger involved with hitting the bars so please no preaching about how dangerous this is, people ride bikes which have 20 times the fatality rate of cars.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2001WS6Vert
I modified the back bars on the Wolfe so I can seat people in the back. I moved the seat belt pedestals in appr. 1" and have the bars mount to the outside of the pedestals. I know the danger involved with hitting the bars so please no preaching about how dangerous this is, people ride bikes which have 20 times the fatality rate of cars.

I won't preach, but comparing it to a bike is sheer stupidity. The guy on the bike made an educated choice about the risks. I'll bet most passengers don't even think about it.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ragtop 99

I won't preach, but comparing it to a bike is sheer stupidity. The guy on the bike made an educated choice about the risks. I'll bet most passengers don't even think about it.
That, and those mods have most likely made it NHRA-illegal. In my opinion: In goes the cage, out goes the seats. Simple. Done.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:13 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking at a cage too without losing the rear seats. If I wanted a two seater vert I would have just bought a new Vette, I wanted a sporty quick good looking car with a back seat (although F body rear seats half *** count). So if anyone has ideas please que me in as I'm a big fan of safety.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

I custom bent my bars to be higher in the back and increase headroom. Even still by age 12 my kids were too tall to ride in the back safely. In an accident, people move a few inches even when wearing seat belts. I see no safe way for an adult to ride in the back with NHRA legal rollbars.

Quick Reply: Idea of a vert roll bar