Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

Time to replace rear window curtain

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009 | 06:44 PM
12 Second Club

Do you have complete pics of the after install up close?
Old 07-03-2009 | 09:32 AM
Launching!

xny1989.. Did you have to use any speciallized tools, or should we be able to do this in an average garage? My rear window fell all the way out this past week even after being reglued, and this is something I definatly need to do now. Thanks!
Old 07-05-2009 | 05:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

took mine out today
dont know if I can get it stretched enough to make it fit again.
I bought a commercial grade air stapler,what a difference it makes.
Old 07-12-2009 | 07:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I didn't use any special tools. The staple gun I used was just a regular spring loaded gun. The original staples were longer and narrower than the ones I used, and it was a bit difficult to staple the parts where there were 4 layers of material where the window and top material overlaps. All seems to be holding up well.

The biggest issues I had were;
1 - If your doing only the window curtain like I did, you need to take the staples out and lift the material on one side (pick one) to get enough room to maneuver the curtain top piece to slide into the track
2 - Look for the center rivet in the top track. Mine had it, and it has to be drilled out to remove the old curtain. I didn't replace it, and it seems to be ok
3 - the replacement I purchased did not have holes in the material for the bolts on the bottom frame. I had to make sure to cut the material to get the bottom frame to go into place. This was the hardest part for me, especially with the tacky adhesive all over the track. In trying to force it on, I actually snapped several of the rivets holding the bottom frame together. It was an easy fix with a regular 1/8 rivet gun.
4 - Take your time, especially if it's hot out.

Last edited by xny1989; 07-12-2009 at 07:57 AM. Reason: grammar correction

Quick Reply: Time to replace rear window curtain