Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

question on decklid moving around on bumps

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 10:54 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default question on decklid moving around on bumps

I finally put some 3rd- gen bumpstops on my car last year after the koni/Strano combo and notice now that I am getting horrible banging noises over big bumps. I narrowed it down to the front of my decklid is moving around because its now chipping paint on the front points and also on top of the fender area next to it. When top is up, trunk closed, I can grab it and lift up about and inch and a half. I see what looks like a guide bolt hanging down off the decklid but it doesn't engage the slotted bracket enough to do anything. Any ideas on how to fix it? I checked the supports over and didn't find anything loose....
Old 04-23-2012, 12:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts

I think you are on the right track. See if your decklid has moved/slipped rearward enough to "disengage" the guide bolt at the front from the slot. I'm pretty sure the purpose of that guide bolt at the front that slips into the slot is suppose to hold the front of the decklid down when closed. If you are able to pull it up, either the guide bolt is not adjusted properly, or the deck lid has moved back (for some reason) and dis-engaged the bolt from the slot.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Or the plastic bushings in the hinge are worn out, allowing the lid to wobble around.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:38 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can someone post a picture of their bolt and mating plate with the notch in it? I can see the marks in the larger diameter cutout area of the bracket where the bolt has been hitting on each side (banging noise I am hearing). My car had lived a hard life before I bought it and has been repainted so I don't know if I am missing any trim piece on the bracket or not. Looking at it tonight, the front edges of my decklid are slightly lower than the quarter panels - I would guess within an 1/8". The whole decklid itself is inline with the rear edges of the quarters above the taillights so I don't think anything has shifted necessarily.

I drove the car for a few years with no bumpstops, Pro-kit springs, and Monroe Sensa-tracs so I always figured the banging was the shitty suspension combo.....

Thanks in advance

Quick Reply: question on decklid moving around on bumps