Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

Thoughts on cleaning my top?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 02:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Thoughts on cleaning my top?

It looks like a soda spill but obviously it's not.

What are you using to keep the top clean?

Last edited by bad_408_vert; 07-03-2015 at 03:36 PM.
Old 07-04-2015, 01:09 AM
GDL
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Professional detail shop for me. Seriously though I've been contemplating that liquid shoe polish by kiwi. It works so freaking well on old school interior plastics....

Granted this isn't the same stuff.
Old 07-04-2015, 02:01 AM
Teching In

I too, am looking to re-dress the appearance of my canvas top. Although I don't have any spotting like that in your photo, there are some spots that have faded a bit, and I'd love to restore a rich, consistent black, to my entire top.

I asked a local detailing shop if they could recommend a dye of any type, and they told me there was nothing made for canvas tops. Vinyl roofs have dyes available, but all I see online for canvas are cleaners and protectants (no color restorers or dyes.)

I'm reluctant to try dyes not specifically intended for canvas soft tops, as I'd rather not risk color bleed, drips, and streaks getting on my car's paint, with the first thunderstorm.

I've been thinking of checking with marinas and boating supply companies, in the event they might have something designed to re-color canvas, that doesn't require removal of the canvas and boiling it in a hot pot of dye.

GDL - My thoughts with regard to a shoe polish would be that it would leave a waxy sheen, and look like an attempt was made to "paint" the porous canvas. I suspect it would look better on a vinyl top, than on a canvas one. But you still might need something to seal it. Your interior plastic doesn't get rained on, so it's ability to stand up as a roof dye is unknown, I'm thinking. I would think you'd want something that will penetrate into the fabric, rather than just lay in a waxy layer, on top of it.
Old 07-05-2015, 01:07 PM
GDL
On The Tree

The polish I'm referring to is a full on liquid.

But good point about it holding up to the elements...

https://kiwishoeshine.3dcartstores.com/mobile/Liquid-Polish_c_39.html#page-27

Quick Reply: Thoughts on cleaning my top?