LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Convertible Vehicles (https://ls1tech.com/forums/convertible-vehicles-84/)
-   -   Tonneau top reviews? (https://ls1tech.com/forums/convertible-vehicles/1903332-tonneau-top-reviews.html)

Action 07-27-2018 12:57 AM

Tonneau top reviews?

Hey guys just looking to hear some opinions about the ownership of the tonneau top. Was it worth the money? do you guys love the look? what do other people think? any problems with it? and is it possible to put it in our trunk or backseat? I'm assuming not but i'm not sure how big they are in person so let me know. Considering them as a first mod to the car.

JohnnyBs98WS6Rag 07-27-2018 02:17 PM

I love the looks. When I first got it, I had a hanging "shelf" positioned just above where the car is parked in my garage where I kept the tonneau, This made pretty easy to put on and take off without getting a 2nd set of hands to help. However, since I moved and now have a 4-post lift for my other toy, there really isn't a good place to store my tonneau that makes it easy to get on and off. Thus, I've not used it more than a hand full of times over the last 10 years. I do have a plan on rectifying this situation though, just haven't followed through on it yet.

Worth the money? YES.
Love the look? YES.
Complements from others? YES.
Problems? Minor cracking around the seat-belt cutouts, and squeaking noises from it bouncing up and down while driving. This has been pretty much mitigated by the support I built that goes under the middle and stiffens it up.
In-Car Storage? It will NOT fit in the trunk, but if separated at the middle, the two halves will fit in the back seat with the seat-back folded down (stacked on top of each other). I've not carried it this way, but you'd want to place a blanket between the 2 pieces to prevent scratching.

bad_408_vert 07-27-2018 07:33 PM

Absolutely worth it. It’s all for aesthetics and style .
With that said, I only use it for car shows or when I know weather is very predictable and or car will always be in a generally safe area to Leave the top down.

Action 07-27-2018 09:49 PM

Are they light? how much would you say they'd weigh and do you have pictures of the support you made, how bad was the shaking while driving also thanks for the feedback guys.

bad_408_vert 07-27-2018 11:40 PM

I’d say they weigh 25lbs at most but that’s speculation.
I drove with windows up and cover on only up to 58mph and didn’t notice drag or movement.

RONIN LSX 07-30-2018 09:48 AM

Love mine! https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/ls1tech...047aa9886d.jpg

JohnnyBs98WS6Rag 07-30-2018 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Action (Post 19938386)
Are they light? how much would you say they'd weigh and do you have pictures of the support you made, how bad was the shaking while driving also thanks for the feedback guys.

Check this thread for some pictures I posted of my tonneau, including the support brace I fabricated.

While the squeaking was irritating, it wasn't so bad that it alone prompted me to build the support. I was more concerned about the stress the "trampolining" caused on the high stress areas around the seat-belt cutouts, which is where these are weak. I highly recommend some form of a support there. Mine slips under the front edge of the cover and sits in the rear seat cup-holders on the back of the center console.

Action 07-31-2018 01:52 PM

Okay will do thanks, i'm set on buying them soon.

Coleroad 08-21-2018 08:41 AM

I think that looks pretty sharp. Wish they made something like that for the 5th gen camaro.

00cls1camaross 08-23-2018 06:02 PM

Any people with the camaro?

mikewoods 03-08-2019 03:21 PM

Do you guys with the tonneau covers still keep the stock boot cover around? I’m looking for one at a decent price with no success.

JohnnyBs98WS6Rag 03-11-2019 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by mikewoods (Post 20060330)
Do you guys with the tonneau covers still keep the stock boot cover around? I’m looking for one at a decent price with no success.

I've kept the factory boot and its storage bag. I use it more than the tonneau, but not every time I drop the top. I hear that the boots show up on eBay every so often.

bad_408_vert 03-23-2019 04:57 PM

I picked one up last year .
Plan is to vinyl wrap it since it will come off the car frequently.
I don’t see value of getting it painted and risking getting scratches.

Carguy8888 03-23-2019 07:53 PM

I would have considered the tonneau but space is a problem for me. It would be cool to see it wrapped in stayfast (factory cloth).The stock boot is nice to but I rarely put it on.

Jessica Haymes 04-06-2019 09:01 AM

Looking for tonneau top

Hey guys just got a 95 camaro z28 looking for the plastic boot cover or website where those nice tonneau covers everyone is getting. Mine didn’t have one. I dnt plan on putting the top up much 😬 thanks!

Action 04-06-2019 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Jessica Haymes (Post 20076292)
Hey guys just got a 95 camaro z28 looking for the plastic boot cover or website where those nice tonneau covers everyone is getting. Mine didn’t have one. I dnt plan on putting the top up much 😬 thanks!

BNC customs sells them if you want them new, if you want one for a better price used then join an fbody group on Facebook ex: fbody nation, or fbody empire, they're always for sell on there or try watching ls1tech marketplace they pop up once a while

bad_408_vert 04-08-2019 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Jessica Haymes (Post 20076292)

theres a stock one for sale in classifieds
https://ls1tech.com/forums/market/1917282