Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

Anyone have a WindScreen?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2004, 01:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anyone have a WindScreen?

After spending 20+ hours over a long weekend driving around the N.GA/Western NC mountains looking at fall leaves, I definitely feel a need for one. Anyone bought one or made one? I found one that goes between the seats on a Mercedes, but it costs $175+. I have a tanneau cover, and I am thinking about attaching a piece of plexiglass to it. I have one that I "threw" together, which functions great, but doesn't look so hot... Of course, I have less than $20 between the clamps and plexiglass.
Old 11-02-2004, 05:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think it's a nice idea but I wouldn't waste the money. Here is a link to a place that sells them. http://www.afterthoughtsauto.com/camconwin.html
Old 11-02-2004, 06:29 PM
On The Tree

It will be the best money you ever spent for your convertible. I love mine bought from the link above.

Robert
Old 11-02-2004, 09:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by musclehead
I think it's a nice idea but I wouldn't waste the money. Here is a link to a place that sells them. http://www.afterthoughtsauto.com/camconwin.html

That is exactly what I was looking for. Dang they really like them for that $$$. I have a tonneau cover that I got on ebay a couple months ago. I am trying to "fabricate" something that would work with that. I guess I could always sell it if the experiment doesn't work out... It looks like this but doesn't have the CF on the blisters.

Tonight, I went by Home Depot and bought 2 u-bolts 1/4"x3" ... The inside posts on the headrest are 23 3/16" apart, so I drilled holes in my 28"x14"x1/4" plexiglass, and it fits like a glove !!!! It is raining, so I can't give it a test ride. I guess when I get brave, I can drill matching holes in the front edge of the tonneau cover. Until then, I can attach it with some clamps. LOL... I have been riding around like that for awhile and it makes a very big difference on the cockpit swirl.
Old 11-07-2004, 06:30 PM
Teching In

Default Dang I love this vert !!!

Well, I just got back to town. I went from Atlanta to east TN and back over the weekend, so this was my second 500+mile trip with the top down enjoying the leaves. Last trip was two weeks ago in the peak. This trip they are mainly brown. LOL As it has been too warm,it has been wonderful vert weather but lousy for falling leaves...

Anywho, I ended up with two 10"x28" pieces and 1 4"x28" piece of plexiglass. I practiced rounding edges and cutting on the little piece, and have cut one of the big pieces to shape. This piece has the holes for the u-bolts very close to the bottom, so the headrest is nearly flush with the top of the seat, and the plexiglass leans back at a 45 degree angle so you don't even see it in the rear view mirror.

I rode up to east TN after work on Friday. Traffic in Atlanta was murder so I only made about 40 miles the first hour, but the closer I got to the mountains, the spareser the traffic and better cruisin I could do. Stars were wonderful, but as I got up around Asheville, NC at 10:00pm, it was a little chilly so I put the top up.

I rode back down this afternoon, with nary a cloud in the sky. The little plexiglass windscreen was great. I feel much less tired and my ears much less wind whipped. So far, it is the best $20 I have spent on the car!

PS. dang, almost forgot... My us. exotics superhawk hood arrived at the bodyshop on Friday before I went out of town. They are going to hang and shim it for me tomorrow. I'll pull out the 35mm and take a few pictures. Roger said the best way to cure it is to drive around with it on the car for a week, so it will have an interesting look since my bird is white and it is black gelcoat. My tonneau cover is white gelcoat, put has kinda of a pinkish tint. Hopefully by month end, it will be all finished...

Does anyone have pics of a vert with a superhawk/firehawk hood? I don't remember seeing any in the picture thread.

Last edited by robtest; 11-07-2004 at 06:37 PM.
Old 11-09-2004, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We were out this weekend as well enjoying that great fall weather. WNC is great this time of year. Though turning a little chilly now. bbbrrrrr

Quick Reply: Anyone have a WindScreen?