Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

Proper top tightness?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006 | 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Proper top tightness?

I've read the sticky about how to tighten the top, but what I don't have a feel for is what is the proper top tightness?

My car is a '00, the top is factory far as I can tell, in decent shape. There are a couple areas where the supports have created a little wear, kinda like worn jeans. I figure this is normal. No holes, no leaks. Doesn't flap in the wind or anything like that.

You can't see any noticeable ripples when the top is dry, but it is by no means stretched firm between the main roof braces, there is obvious play. When it is wet there is maybe a third inch of sag and sometimes a single ripple shows up.

Does somebody have pictures of a "good" and "bad" top from this perspective? The tightening procedure sounds easy enough but I don't want to do it if it is just going to promote more wear on the top. Seems to me that there would be some balance point where the top would wear into, and trying to adjust it tighter than that point would just promote faster wear.

If such a set of pictures does exist I'd also like to request that they be put in the top tightening sticky.
Old 04-03-2006 | 09:37 PM
On The Tree

After i wash my car I unhook the top and let it dry while pulled back a bit.
It really tightens it up......