Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

vert to t-tops conversion...

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 11:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default vert to t-tops conversion...

Basically, i have had this idea flowing through my head for a while now and wanted to see if anyone has ever attempted this or know of someone that has tried it?

I knew, that a while back, there was talk of building a top with a lighter, stronger material. Now, without really reasearching further into the idea, the center section that ties the t-tops and rear hatch area could be welding in, reinforced, possibly have to change to t-top lock section, top of windshield, for the t-tops, and add hatch, structural support, t-tops and you should be done...

Anyone care to join in on this idea'r?
Old 04-25-2006, 03:36 PM
On The Tree

good luck keep us updated on it
Old 04-25-2006, 04:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Umm....

Why?

You can buy a complete roller car for under $3k... That'd be cheaper than doing a full welded in conversion. And shells can be had for even less.

A removable hard top for wintertime, I could understand that. But to weld in T's to change a 'vert to a T-top... not worth the hassle. Far easier (and probably safer) just to get another car and go from there.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:58 PM
TECH Regular

i concurr...it can be done..but why? cars org. were all the same from the factory no a hard top came and has been built...i think it was on a z that also was a car made to go in water...another story..but thats just an idea.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:16 PM
TECH Addict

I looked into making a removable hard top. The research it would take and cost would be plenty. Then I thought of just cutting a hard top or ttop roof and adding brackets to make it removable like the ones that came with some of the 94-95 mustang cobras but like I said, it's going to take a lot of time and research.

Quick Reply: vert to t-tops conversion...