Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

My sub setup

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 10:59 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damm you all... he he destroying my dreams he he

Well ok then... I want to get the base when the top is down so I wanna go for the one I saw in the pics above, the fits in the ledge over the trunk...

Where can I buy that and what 10'' subs can you guys recommend. I will prefer to buy it.

Hope you can again

thx.

Soren
Old 09-19-2006, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Talk to the guy in the 4th post of this thread...

You can only fit 8" subs, which is all you really have the volume to support, anyways. Use two very high quality, very high sensitivity drivers and feed them all the power you can.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:52 AM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaro02DK
Hey there

Damm I have been on ls1tech some time now and first today saw the vert. forum... I know I know scandalous....

ANYWAY..... I have a real good beast of a 12'' I wanna use in my camaro vert. I would hope maybe some of you could give me some good idea on where to find some I can either buy or build myself...

Hope to hear from you guys...
subthump sells a box like mine for a 12" sub plus i can hear my bass perfectly with the top down ..best of all my setup didn't cost much and everyone that has heard it loves it
Old 09-21-2006, 12:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 227 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by TA guy
Also, in case anyone cares, me and Johnny made up and are sharing some ideas outside of the forums.
This is TRUE. TA guy has allowed me a "peek under the hood" of his box and I must say I'm impressed with the clean design and performance measurements he's provided. He's also reactivated the virus within me that has been in remission because he's now got me thinking about sub boxes again. I have a feeling that if we keep this up we might just stumble onto a really good combination of box & drivers that fits on this shelf in our 'verts. Stay tuned......

However, no matter what we do on that shelf or in the trunk, top-down bass is going to be reduced compared to top-up bass. So if you have a really HIGH priority on top-down bass, you're most likely going to have to give up at least one of your rear seats.

Anyone try putting a small sub under the front seats? I'm thinking about coupling bass energy directly to the spine here. My belief is that a significant portion of the human "bass experience" is coupled to the brain through the skin / skeleton rather than through the ear drums.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by todddchi
Talk to the guy in the 4th post of this thread...

You can only fit 8" subs, which is all you really have the volume to support, anyways. Use two very high quality, very high sensitivity drivers and feed them all the power you can.
Correct, only 8" subs fit my box. For maximum SPL, I'd put a priority on a driver with ALOT of excursion (Xmax?) and give it as much power as it can take. I think TA guy and I agree that my box design results in essentially an open-air / infinite baffle configuration where the volume of the air inside the box isn't really a factor for any tuning (the resultant "tuned" frequency of this small a volume is way above where you'd want a sub to operate, let alone it being capable of operating anyway). If you want alot of SPL, you need to move lots of air. You can achieve this with more excursion and more surface area (more drivers). Just be prepared to ante up enough power to get the drivers there, regardless of their efficiency.

On the other hand, TA guy configured his box with alot more internal volume available for tuning and he was able to tune it for a pretty flat response with good extension down to 30Hz or so. This probably results in a much more efficient design.

Last edited by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag; 09-21-2006 at 01:09 PM.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag
Anyone try putting a small sub under the front seats? I'm thinking about coupling bass energy directly to the spine here. My belief is that a significant portion of the human "bass experience" is coupled to the brain through the skin / skeleton rather than through the ear drums.
In an enclosure? You are joking I hope. My bare 6" subs could fit, but the diaphram would hit on every stroke. Did they bring back the thin mount subs?
Old 09-21-2006, 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The make *** shakers. I don't remember what exactly they are called but I have definitely seen them before. Aura bass shakers, maybe?
Old 09-23-2006, 05:53 PM
TECH Addict

Here's what I had in mind..........

http://www.clarksynthesis.com/

These are available from Parts Express. Maybe a pair of these under the front seats (or in the seat backs) is just what the doctor ordered for 'vert bass response? Anyone tried them?

Quick Reply: My sub setup