Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Can't separate ball joints - help (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 07:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Question Can't separate ball joints - help (pics)

I am trying to take apart the rear suspension in preparation for lifting the body off...

I followed the instructions in this article http://www.corvettefever.com/techart.../photo_18.html

That step in particular is what is giving me problems...

I can't get the ball joints to separate. The instructions are confusing it says "loosen the lower ball joint nut with an 18mm socket" - The lower ball joint nut isn't 18mm. The top one is 18mm.

Do I need to loosen the nut that is circled in red?

I have tried to get the top to separate with the shock both connected and disconnected....which works better?

Do I need to put the top nut back on and break the bottom ball joint free first?

I have tried supporting the a-arm with a jack and running it all the way up - top joint still won't separate. I am guessing it isn't safe to use an air hammer pickle fork on the aluminum parts.

Sorry for being a vette noob, this is the first car I have owned newer than a '72.

Thanks in advance
Old 03-07-2009, 10:43 PM
On The Tree

Also...why do the guides always show removing the halfshafts in the back? I don't see why I would need to remove them to drop the rear-end and I won't be working on the differential.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:04 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't bother with that last winter when I removed my powertrain like you are doing. Just unbolt the upper control arms from the frame. I think it's an easier way to do it. For the shocks I unbolted the rears at the top and the fronts at the bottom. Then just replaced them while it was off the body.

Start taking a bunch of pictures along the way too! Bag and tag is your friend too. It makes the whole process of putting it back together a lot easier!

PM me if you have any questions. I'd be glad to help if you need it.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by callys
Also...why do the guides always show removing the halfshafts in the back? I don't see why I would need to remove them to drop the rear-end and I won't be working on the differential.
If you're not working on the diff then you don't have to. You really don't even have to remove the brake calipers. I did but realized later that I really didn't have to. Just use some cable ties to prevent everything from stretching and putting extra pressure on the lines.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:55 PM
Staging Lane

this is a much better guide for removing the diff. just stop when you get the cradle out
http://cajundude.com/c5techhome.htm
Old 03-10-2009, 03:35 PM
On The Tree

Finished taking it apart a couple days ago now, sure wish I had found that guide before!

Will be useful for putting it back together. Oh well...live and learn.

Quick Reply: Can't separate ball joints - help (pics)