Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

a/c problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 04:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a/c problem

when I try to turn it on the light blinks and then goes off. anybody had that problem?
Old 04-19-2009, 07:05 PM
12 Second Club

Have the same problem, good question. Hopefully someone will help us out!
Old 04-20-2009, 01:19 AM
Staging Lane

i got that problem...i've been told its the ac compressor...
Old 04-29-2009, 08:31 PM
Teching In

well lucky for you guys I just went through this whole process last week. I installed a procharger and changed to a single fan. long story short the fan locked up and I didn't notice at first because the weather had been cool. Before I noticed the fan problem I had the same problem you guys are having. I would turn the ac on and it would stay on for a minute or two then turn off.

What was happening is the high side of the ac system was going up to 400+psi and the highside ac pressure sensor was shutting it down because the line on the compressor is set to blowoff the charge at 420psi or somewhere around that. My problem was because the fan wasn't pulling any air over the condenser since it was locked. I put a floor fan in front of it and problem went away. So I figured out my problem

The computer shuts the compressor down if psi is too high 400s or too low under 32ish psi. A bad high side sensor could do it.(there is no low side sensor on my 99)

I would check the ac system with some gauges to see what pressures you have. With ac system off you should have psi's that reflect ambiet air temp.

70 degrees outside you should see 70psi +/- 5psi on both high and low sides

These systems only take 1.64 pounds of refridgerant. half a pound low can cause problems. Hope my retarded ramblings help
Old 04-29-2009, 08:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine was due to low refrigerant due to a leak where the line was touching the header.

Quick Reply: a/c problem