Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 07:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Reliability?

im looking into a 2000 Corvette M6 with slp headers and a full borla exhaust with an ls1 hot cam in it. the car itself has about 150000 miles on it but doesnt look like it is in too bad of shape. im just wondering if this thing would be reliable? the cam has been in since 136k when the clutch was changed and he said it was installed without pulling the motor. there are a few things that could get fixed but its very minor. he only wants 10k for it so should i worry about reliability?
Old 12-28-2009, 07:18 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a hell of a deal to me. Might make sure its not a salvage title. For 10k if the motor takes a crap you still got it cheap enough to build 402 and still come out ahead.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:33 PM
TECH Addict

see im 18 and in college. i would have the money but i definately dont want to spend it. he says its clean but im gonna get my friend to carfax it. i already have someone in line to pay 9500 for my car
Old 12-28-2009, 07:51 PM
TECH Addict

here it is
Attached Thumbnails Reliability?-bite-wk-kgrhqyh-eyesnkkwmtibloqrqlql-_3.jpg   Reliability?-bitepvwcgk-kgrhqmh-c8esmmwdgc6bloqqi18cw-_3.jpg   Reliability?-bitfw4q-wk-kgrhqeh-cceslhsevombloqudgrbw-_3.jpg  
Old 12-29-2009, 11:00 PM
Teching In

If the body and interior looks good and the Carfax comes back clean (no salvage), I'd say it's a decent deal. If the motor craps out, I'd drop in an LS6 crate motor.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:06 PM
10 Second Club

Looks good.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:59 AM
9 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Reliability of a used car becomes a funtion of how well the previous owner has maintained / modified it. I bought my '99 bone stock with 115k on it. Over the past 70k miles I have added heads, cam, intake, exhaust, clutch... all in an effort to add performance. The only unplanned maintenance I have done in 70k miles is to rebuild the steering rack and replace the clutch master cylinder.

So I will say a C5 can certainly be a very reliable vehicle - depending on the history. Looks like you have found a very reasonably priced one that already has some nice performance mods. Check with your insurance rates before you pull the plug though...
Old 12-30-2009, 08:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by vodas00ss
Sounds like a hell of a deal to me. Might make sure its not a salvage title. For 10k if the motor takes a crap you still got it cheap enough to build 402 and still come out ahead.

I like the way you think man ! ^^^^

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
If the body and interior looks good and the Carfax comes back clean (no salvage), I'd say it's a decent deal. If the motor craps out, I'd drop in an LS6 crate motor.

If the motor goes, why on earth go with a crate motor when for a few bucks more you could build a stroker? He'll be able to reuse all his parts which would keep the cost down and have "LOTS" of room to grow in the future. LS1 parts (H,C,I) plus LS2 based 402 stroker equals restricted as hell but with plenty of room to grow. Just add a larger cam when the stroker is built and that will unlock a good bit of power. Besides that the instant increase in RWTQ from a 4 inch stroke would be amazing !

I wonder if anyone out there has a 402 with ls1 heads, intake, stock exhaust, etc etc? If so what kind of power did she make?

Like the old addage goes, theres no replacement for displacement !! Extra cubes is one hell of a mod, and the car would look to be bone stock too. Could fool everyone if you like to race, LOL.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:33 AM
Banned

It's going to cost you anyway (aside from the intial purchase) compared to an f-body. Trust me.

Most of the C5 issues have tutorial threads on corvetteforum... I will say though that anything clutch/transmission/diff related will most likely need a shop $$

For $10 grand it's a steal... drive it and if it's a bum mutt you can still get $10k or more back out.

$.02
Old 12-30-2009, 11:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
I like the way you think man ! ^^^^

If the motor goes, why on earth go with a crate motor when for a few bucks more you could build a stroker? He'll be able to reuse all his parts which would keep the cost down and have "LOTS" of room to grow in the future. LS1 parts (H,C,I) plus LS2 based 402 stroker equals restricted as hell but with plenty of room to grow. Just add a larger cam when the stroker is built and that will unlock a good bit of power. Besides that the instant increase in RWTQ from a 4 inch stroke would be amazing !

I wonder if anyone out there has a 402 with ls1 heads, intake, stock exhaust, etc etc? If so what kind of power did she make?

Like the old addage goes, theres no replacement for displacement !! Extra cubes is one hell of a mod, and the car would look to be bone stock too. Could fool everyone if you like to race, LOL.

Because the title of the OP's thread is "Reliability". You have him throwing all kinds of money at this motor for what you call "room to grow" on a $10K car. Before you know it, he's doubled the cost of that car. To each his own...
Old 12-31-2009, 03:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Because the title of the OP's thread is "Reliability". You have him throwing all kinds of money at this motor for what you call "room to grow" on a $10K car. Before you know it, he's doubled the cost of that car. To each his own...
How the hell does a 4K short and reusing all his ls1 stuff if/when the motor goes become 10K ????????????????????

Get your head out your *** man.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
How the hell does a 4K short and reusing all his ls1 stuff if/when the motor goes become 10K ????????????????????

Get your head out your *** man.
Look here *******...I have an opinion and you have an opinion. Just because we have a difference of opinion doesn't entitle you to insult a perfect stranger. I see you're in "Law Enforcement"...I bet I have a pretty good idea how you treat people at work too. I'm sure you love to hand out the chicken **** tickets for tinted windows, no front license plate, jaywalking, etc. Congrats on making $40K as a cop in the "Burbs of Detroit".

You wanted insults...you got 'em.

Last edited by MTPZ06; 12-31-2009 at 07:19 PM. Reason: lowered myself to allngn's standards...
Old 01-01-2010, 08:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Look here *******...I have an opinion and you have an opinion. Just because we have a difference of opinion doesn't entitle you to insult a perfect stranger. I see you're in "Law Enforcement"...I bet I have a pretty good idea how you treat people at work too. I'm sure you love to hand out the chicken **** tickets for tinted windows, no front license plate, jaywalking, etc. Congrats on making $40K as a cop in the "Burbs of Detroit".

You wanted insults...you got 'em.
You are an idiot. You stated drop in an ls6 crate motor. I simply said if you are going to spend that kind of money add a few bucks and build a ready to grow forged stroker. A forged stroker for a few bucks more is not a 10,000 dollar investment as you stated. Its merely a bit more money, without much more cost, and a lot more room for growth. Re using all the LS1 parts keeps the cost down, or did you miss that part.

Your comments do add up to having your head in your ***, my comments don't warrant being called an *******. BTW, happy new years !!!!

As far as the 40K salary, LOL ! I work a lot of overtime and made over 100K again. Also we don't have the rediculously high cost of living that California does. So my 100K goes a lot further then yours.
Old 01-01-2010, 04:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

/pissing-contest

Anyway,

Reliability on C5s is dependent on how well they were taken care of over the years. Regular fluid changes and carbon build up blown out every week would give you a likely more reliable car.

Aside from that, C5's are VERY reliable cars IMO.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:04 PM
On The Tree

That's a great deal, but I agree with some of the others. It depends on how well the car was taken care of. Did it receive regular routine maintenance? Was the car driven hard all the time or was it babied? Etc. Etc.

Quick Reply: Reliability?