Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

need some info on c5 differential

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 05:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need some info on c5 differential

I posted this in the gears and axel forum with no luck so i decided to try it here. A few weeks ago my MN6 tranny and differential broke on me, so im getting my tranny built and i purchased a stock c5 zo6 differential with 3.42 gears and since i live in west texas there is no one around here that i could find to install gears in it. i also read that going bigger than 3.90's makes the differential weaker is this true? Who install's gears and what gears should i go with?
mods on the car are vararam cai, ls6 intake, electric water pump, UD pully, stage3 ls6 heads, whiplash2 cam, kooks LT's, GMMG exhaust, spec3 clutch, and soon a 100shot. Oh by the way the car is mostly used for street racing.
any info will help thanks guys
Old 01-18-2010, 08:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

I recently had to so very similar stuff. The clutch packs in my rear end had gone out. The real reason I had taken the car was to have the trans rebuilt and they found out my rear end was gone. I had Simple Quik pull the trans and diff but the rebuilds were done by Texas Drivetrain Performance. I got my car back wednesday and had to work out of town since thursday. I drove it as as possible before I had to go and was very happy.
Jason/TDP will deffinately take care of you and do it right.

TDP- 817-300-6840

Doug
Old 01-18-2010, 09:20 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the info. My tranny broke the mainshaft and im guessing it wedged into the differential and shattered the casing since all the internals in my stock diff. were still good just the casing was broke in half.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by silverbullitLS1
Thanks for the info. My tranny broke the mainshaft and im guessing it wedged into the differential and shattered the casing since all the internals in my stock diff. were still good just the casing was broke in half.
It doesnt sound to bad if the internals are good. Get with Jason/TDP he will take care of you. If you call and he doesnt answer just leave a message and he will get back to you. Some people freak out if the shop doesnt answer right away.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would recommend you talk to LS123 on this forum. He's very good with the our transmissions and rear diff's Built alot for us in our area with great success. He uses RPM parts or what you would like. I'll see i can direct him here for you. He can ship a rear to you and you ship a core back I believe aswell. Good luck I broke many rear diffs and transmissions and its not something you want to do again. Put it together right one time and be done!
Old 01-25-2010, 08:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Zturd
I would recommend you talk to LS123 on this forum. He's very good with the our transmissions and rear diff's Built alot for us in our area with great success. He uses RPM parts or what you would like. I'll see i can direct him here for you. He can ship a rear to you and you ship a core back I believe aswell. Good luck I broke many rear diffs and transmissions and its not something you want to do again. Put it together right one time and be done!
Thanks Bruce! I did couple of M12's and a MM6 in last few weeks. PM me if you are interested. I have cases available also.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/nort...-smoother.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/nort...m12-build.html

Quick Reply: need some info on c5 differential