Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Lesson of driveability-boring video

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 08:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Lesson of driveability-boring video

Seriously, this video is boring but,..after watching it,.. you could see how driveable a 787hp car is on the street. This is the setup, everyone said, wouldn't be street friendly. But,..if you watch the video.... it's pretty driveable. I only get on it twice, early in the video...you only notice if you listen, and watch the white lines. Anyways... this was a stock bottom end/2.73 gear/twin 67mm 6 speed car with a giant cam, tuned by both Johan Mangs and Brian Mcmahon.

Those dudes,..are truly awesome at what they do.

If your bored...check it out. It really is no big deal. You'll see my turbo smoke issue that I HAD but,...has since been fixed before I pulled the motor out. i'd say enjoy but,..eh... enjoy.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:15 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Now lets show them how driveable a 1200 HP set up can be.....
Old 04-09-2010, 12:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty Cool J, but hard to hear anything except parking lot because of all the wind noise.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn ! I have to wait until I get home to watch this one. Thanks for posting bro.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:33 PM
9 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like you are using a Go Pro camera mounted on the roof? Unfortunately their audio just isn't very good. Cool video though. Would help to edit some of the slower action though...
Old 04-10-2010, 07:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

bypassed the firewall. Got to watch it. Good video, very boring like you warned, but a good illustration of the smooth idle and excellent drivability.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The angle of the camera is great however there isn't much sound except the air blowing by.

BTW, what gear do you cruise around in since you have a 2.73 rear gear ?
Old 04-11-2010, 06:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BlownVette 2001
The angle of the camera is great however there isn't much sound except the air blowing by.

I'll bet 3rd gear is probably versatile enough to do the job. Just thinking, with a 2.73 what is 3rd good for at redline, 130+ ?? With my 3.42 s I shift into 4th at around 115 if I'm on it, or whenever the shift light flashes.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mike@Diablosport
Now lets show them how driveable a 1200 HP set up can be.....

Trying to hustle my man

Originally Posted by PA Z06
Pretty Cool J, but hard to hear anything except parking lot because of all the wind noise.
Yeah...shoulda said something about the wind. My bad.

Originally Posted by Chevy406
Sounds like you are using a Go Pro camera mounted on the roof? Unfortunately their audio just isn't very good. Cool video though. Would help to edit some of the slower action though...

Correct. GoPro. Working on getting an HD version.

I just don't know how to edit. So I fail at that.

Got tips? Or a site for flunkies on how to edit the gopro?

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
bypassed the firewall. Got to watch it. Good video, very boring like you warned, but a good illustration of the smooth idle and excellent drivability.
Boring yes but,..the driveability itself is pretty impressive.

Originally Posted by BlownVette 2001

I like the angle too.

Gear,..I don't have any predefined or preplanned cruising speed/gear selection. I go with traffic. If there is no traffic,...

The car was useable in any gear. I'd often show people a 55mph idle cruise in 5th. Pretty weird driving in the car at such a low rpm, so docile, esecially considering the capability hitting the GO pedal. You'd be surprised. Next video I make, will be in car.

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
I'll bet 3rd gear is probably versatile enough to do the job. Just thinking, with a 2.73 what is 3rd good for at redline, 130+ ?? With my 3.42 s I shift into 4th at around 115 if I'm on it, or whenever the shift light flashes.

Think he means just cruising there maverick. The car could easily see 4th gear in city conditions,...and just as easily see 5th. The still make 700 ft-lbs in that setup. The 2.73 gears have never been a regret for any second of the time that I first installed them. Not one. Have I raced the car hardcore like that?...ehhh... what do you call it if you beat a few leader bikes and when your about to freight train a ford gt that does 198mph in the mile....on a private road....well before the mile? R&D?

Anyways,..the car was great to drive with 346ci, twin 67's, a nitrous cam, a 6 speed,..and a 2.73 gear. The day to day manners where excellent. The highway was awesome. The car made big power on the street, with Z rated tires,..I could not hold traction with the 3.42's. Not without a proper tire. And I mean, break loose at 145mph. No effort,...out of nowhere. With the 2.73's... I BARELY have to pedal on Z rated street tires. It's actuall useable,..and still is QUICK enough to accelerate away from 1000cc bikes from 80mph rolls.

The gear is narley.

Just looking to proove it in the mile now.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Your right, it was boring!

Strike 2
Old 05-09-2010, 12:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SilveradoSS500
Your right, it was boring!

Strike 2

Dzzz nutz.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:54 AM
Launching!

Which clutch set up do you have? It seemed really smooth.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:45 PM
TECH Addict

I like it, I also wonder what kind of mpg improvement you may see also.
Old 05-15-2010, 06:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 02SCVette
Which clutch set up do you have? It seemed really smooth.

Thats the EXOSKEL my man. The best clutch I have ever interacted with, on any make or platform vehicle, to date. I never had any drag strip launches with it other then street...so I cannot preach about drag strip capability but, I haven't ever heard anything negative in that context about it. It hasn't gone through my windsheild yet like another brand either yet, so soo far, soo good.

Originally Posted by JoeyGC5
I like it, I also wonder what kind of mpg improvement you may see also.

Thanks. Like how do you mean, with the 2.73's over the 3.42's? I'd imagine crucial change. I shoulda paid more attention to it when it was with the 346 but,...we'll see with the 6.0 I guess. It was better,...just couldn't tell you how much(didn't register it). But,..going for a chill ride around town... it was pretty easy chilling at 1000rpms and doing 50mph...consistantly.

Overall... I am hoping that the power overcomes the gear ratio. I figure 1000+ft-lbs should make it accelerate no problem. Even with the 700rwhp+... it really was sick the way it took off. Not only that.... if I have drag radials on...for example nitto 305's on an 18inch vette wheel.... I can straight up punch it from a 35mph roll,...it will not start to spin until maybe 5800rpms.... once I felt wheel spin...I quickly shift into second,..it bites and pulls. Never spins again. Took my buddy for a ride that owns a 700+wheel G35.... the above senerio,... ripped his glasses right off his face. Talk about G force. Anyways...sorry for the rant,... just saying I dig the gear. the real verdict will be with the new motor, and running at the mile. On the street,...it'll be nearly unbeatable.

Quick Reply: Lesson of driveability-boring video