C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Bad Gas, Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 08:36 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Gas, Help!!

2002, 6 spd, C-5.
Cars been laid up for a while. Went to start it up the other day. Car was back fireing through the exhaust at first, then that slowed down and stopped. Idle very roufg, engine shaking, no codes yet. Just about a half tank of gas on board. How do I Drain the gas?
tried to pump it out with a hnd pump and get a small hose down the filler neck but there is some type of obstruction that will not allow the hose to go down far enough.
I just got out of the hospital so I really don't want to jack it up and get under the car if ther is another way.
Please help
Old 08-21-2010, 09:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can look at the fuse panel under the hood and find the fuel pump relay. You jumper the connectors, basically bypassing the relay. You can jumper it with a paper clip. Jumper it when you are ready to drain the fuel tho, lol.

Then you can either pull the line off of the fuel rail and run a hose on that down to whatever you are draining the fuel into. Or you can remove the little schreider valve, basically a valve that you find in valve stems on rims, but you need a special tool to remove that as well as a special tool to remove the fuel rail line.

If you don't have those tools, the last resort besides laying under the car to remove the fuel filter would to be pull the fuel rail off and remove one injector.