Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

C5 Reliablity?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 06:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine is in need of a clutch but overall i LOVE my Vette. It's been good to me and i'm modded.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:56 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did what you're thinking about doing and bought a '97 C5 MN6 in November of 2006 with 22,700 miles on it for $19,200 from E-bay. My list of repairs thus far:

Transmission rebuild: A minor transmission problem at the time, the tranny occasionally popped out of reverse, has resulted in rebuilding the tranny now that it's at 70k miles. I don't consider this a common problem with C5s or T56s in general. They tend to be pretty reliable trannies. If you pay for labor, this car is going to cost about $600 more than others due to the difficulty with installation and removal.

The horn tended to stick, and I found a fix for that on corvette forums, the part cost me $70 and labor was easy

Side mirror fix: One of the mirrors popped off of the swivel, but a guy on Corvetteforums.com fixed it for me for $70 + shipping.

A/C compressor went out spitting chunks of metal throughout the system. I did it the right way and had the whole system to ensure more metal wouldn't find its way to the new compressor, which cost somewhere around $2,500 if memory serves including labor and parts.

Tires aren't terribly cheap and I've been through 2 full sets of rear tires already. Figure about $1000-$1,400 for a full premium set of performance tires, especially if you want to keep run-flats (puke) on the car.

The blinker acted up and I had to replace the hazard switch, which was an easy fix, but the switch was something like $50.

Brakes: Decided that I wanted a street and a racing set of Hawk pads and Brembo slotted zinc-coated rotors. Cost roughly $800-$900.

Fog light bulb x2: cheap, don't remember, but reaching and replacing this bulb requires you to be a contortionist

Seat tracks are slide back and forth by about 1/2" Simple fix is on corvette forums and only requires the purchase of nylon washers, but I haven't gone through the trouble, yet. Now the seat track on the drivers side is lifting slightly and I don't like the feeling of the seat shifting. So I'm going to have to pull it out and figure out what's going on, soon.

I bought stereo head-unit so I could dock the Ipod for about $450.

I've curbed two wheels, and 2 tire shops have scraped wheels badly requiring a repaint (I have the magnesium wheels). That typically ran $100-$130 per wheel.

As you can see, the majority of the issues were self-inflicted or were really minor. The A/C is the only one that I feel happened way too early and cost way too much. Overall, despite all of the maintenance, I would've made the purchase again, though maybe I'd have taken a closer look for any tranny issues. The car has just been so much fun, and I know when I go out there, it'll start up and go. Gets damn good gas mileage too. If you keep it in 6th with the A/C off and stay around 50mph, you'd be amazed at the kind of mileage you can get. I pulled 38.8 mpg on one trip, just to see if I could. Overall, I love my vette. It's such a pleasure to get in and drive whenever I feel like treating myself. It's still competitive to other stock cars on the road, and if you ever do get the mod bug, well it's hard to beat the performance/$ of a modded LS1.

Good luck with your decision.

Chris

Last edited by Chris Arnold; 09-23-2010 at 06:09 AM.
Old 09-25-2010, 02:23 PM
Teching In

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that I've had to replace the window motor/track assemblies in both doors. The rear defrost electrical clip also melted. I just spliced with wires together for free.

Come to think of it, this car has been a handful in the maintenance department when you consider that it only has 70k miles on it, so far.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for all the replies. Helps a bunch. I decided I NEED a FRC. So if anyone has one for sale send me a PM.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FRC FTW!

Best look ever!
Old 09-26-2010, 02:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
FRC FTW!

Best look ever!
including the Z06s

for a C5, that is

Still doesn't beat the C6 widebodies though, IMHO
Old 09-29-2010, 01:20 PM
On The Tree

i have an 01z cam exhaust clutch and rear with over 115k miles never gave me an issue except a slight leak from the water pump. other than that its perfect

Quick Reply: C5 Reliablity?