Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

C5 Build Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 05:39 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 Build Help

Ok im planing out my build for my 99 FRC corvette. my goal is to reach around 500WHP
heres the plan:
99 Corvette FRC
243 Casting LS6 Heads
Stroker Crank Shaft
Forged Rods and Forged Pistons
150 Shot Wet Nitrous kit
TSP LT headers
X pipe and Cat back Exhaust
Fully Built valve train and P&P work to the heads

i already have the 243 cast heads and will be doing the P&P my self and recommendations for cam specs and valve train components? as well as recommendations for crank? I'm thinking Wisco or JE pistons and eagle rods. ARP studs and bolts. also any recommendations on Clutch?
thanks
Old 09-19-2010, 02:52 PM
10 Second Club

I dont think youll need the 150shot to reach 500rwhp. If going nitrous id get the MS3 for the stroker if going to a forged 347 id go with a VRX5 or a tsp 233/239. As for Crank id pick the Callies and A Monster Stg 3 from SNL performance is one hell of a clutch and should hold the stroker + Spray pretty easy.

Valve train,
The stock rockers are pretty good but upgrade to the comp trunion bearings for the added insurance. I think spectacle solutions still offers an exchange program for your stockers. If your looking at roller rockers id stick with the 1.7 ratio and go with mast motorsports, Jesel, or Comp Magnums. PRC or Patriot Dual Valve springs kit good to .650 lift would be plenty. LS7 lifters would be a good upgrade as well.

Not sure if your familar with dyno number but a 346ci ls1/ls6 with TFS/AFR heads and 11.0 SCR with a decent intake, LTs, UD pulley and tune is well capable of 500 RWHP. Let alone a 383-402ci Stroker and a 150shot. Your looking well into 600+ RWHP
Old 09-19-2010, 09:33 PM
Teching In

^ awesome info thanks yeah i was hopping for around 500whp with out the shot but would be happy with 500 either way lol yeah i've head a lot of ppl say to comp trunion upgrade so ill deff go with that. n as far as the LS7 lifters? any good sources to find em? thanks
Old 09-21-2010, 12:49 PM
9 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I would have to disagree on 500 rwhp with a 346 being easy. It's quite common to get 460 to 480 whp with a 346 and MN6, but you are going to really have to push the cam profile, rpm and compression ratio to get much higher than that. Adding some cubic inches is a great way to increase torque and power.
You can purchase "LS7" lifters from any GM parts counter, or most any of the forum vendors (i.e. Texas Speed & Performance, SDPC).
One comment on rocker arms - the roller tip rockers will really reduce side loading on the valve tip, which will extend the life of your valve guides. Experiment by marking the valve tip with a sharpie and watching the stock rocker's contact patch. The stock rocker will have a very wide patch while the roller tip rocker will get a nice tight travel - almost down to a line if you shim it just right.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:50 PM
10 Second Club

didnt say that 346ci and 500rwhp was easy but is capable with an aftermarket head and 11.0 and up SCR. along with full bolt-ons (everything i mentioned early), but 500 rwhp with a 346 10.5:1 SCR, mild cam and a 100shot is very capable and you should probly be making more than 500 at the tires.

As for the roller tip rockers you might wanna look at thunder racings post in the Dyno section here on tech. If going with roller tip rockers you will want a cam that doesnt have too aggressive of a ramp rate and youll want to select a stronger (maybe even larger in diam.) pushrod to avoid defliction in your valvetrain as well as a high spring opening pressure above 400#'s i believe. The Stock rockers are VERY well designed and with a upgraded trunion will work in most applications. You may have to shim them a little with some of the canted heads tho.

Texas speed or lingenfelter both offer the LS7 lifters.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:38 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

I would be happy to help you with any of your GM parts needs.
Thanks
Kevin
www.PartsTaxi.com

Quick Reply: C5 Build Help