Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Car wont start, was overcharging

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 09:34 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car wont start, was overcharging

Alright guys i need some help. I bought my 2004 Z06 knowning it had some issues and her is where i am.

Bought, month later replaced the alternator
2 months later replaced the harmonic balancer (put one SLP underdrive)

Shortly after whenever i would go fulll throttle, my interior dash light would go out until i got off the throttle and was giving me a charging system error. Later i would watch the voltage gage and it was going up to 17-18 volts. But i just keep driving and not going full throttle.

Two weeks later i switched the battary because needed the smaller battary for my grand prix. Drove it to a friends house and when i left it wouldnt start.

It doesnt try to start, gives just single click when turn key and dash light go off. I have switched battary, tried jumping clean battary ground, i check fuses in engine bay.

I dont know what to do. Any suggestions.

Thanks,
Jonthan
Old 10-14-2010, 10:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The alternator should not charge at that level. The regulator in the replacement was obviously bad and my guess is that it fried itself. Put the new battery on a charger and let it charge up (clicking and the dash light going out says it has no juice). Get it home and take that replacement alternator back in for an exchange.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:43 PM
Teching In

but battary in it is good, and with cable hooked up it is no different. also it is not clicking, it click once
Old 10-15-2010, 10:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The battery may be good, but it sounds like it doesn't have enough of a charge to turn the engine over.

The click is the solenoid engaging. The dash lights going out says there isn't enough juice.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:23 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99C5JA
The battery may be good, but it sounds like it doesn't have enough of a charge to turn the engine over.

The click is the solenoid engaging. The dash lights going out says there isn't enough juice.
X2 this is your problem get a new battery and alternator.
Old 10-17-2010, 02:00 PM
Teching In

So i put a different battery in, when i put the key in the igination i hear a nasty buzzing noise coming from passanger floor near the PCM, but now when i try to start it will contuniesly click to start.
Old 10-17-2010, 02:04 PM
Teching In

So i guest realized, when i put the key to start, my AC blows and my gauges work for about 3 seconds and then go off.

Quick Reply: Car wont start, was overcharging