Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

New engine doesnt want to fit the torque tube(beggin for some help please ???)

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 07:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New engine doesnt want to fit the torque tube(beggin for some help please ???)

Well i ve received my new engine.Put everything together and try to put it back in the car.The toque tube shaft is fully centered in my clutch.The shaft enter quite a bit but i cant seems to make it fit completely.

I mean there is still maybe 1 1/2 space between the bellhousing and the torque tube.I can see that the shaft is in but not all the way

I did try to lift the engine,lower it,wiggle it up down left right,rotate it a little but nothing worked out

I put a block of wood to support the torque tube but once it begin to enter the clutch,do i need to leave it there ???

Any help or hint would be very appreciated
Old 08-26-2011, 07:38 PM
Launching!

I take it you tried turning the drive shaft to line up the spline with the clutch?I have an auto,Not familiar with a 6speed. Also isn't there a pilot bearing in the back of the crank shaft? It might be hitting that................Paul
Old 08-26-2011, 08:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DRIVER456
I take it you tried turning the drive shaft to line up the spline with the clutch?I have an auto,Not familiar with a 6speed. Also isn't there a pilot bearing in the back of the crank shaft? It might be hitting that................Paul
Well i did try to line up the clutch spline by turning the crankshaft damper bolt.

I also thought myself that i was hitting the pilot bearing side but if the torque tube shaft did pass thru the 2 dics of my spec super twin,why on earth doesnt it go right in the pilot bearing ???

Thanks for your input .
Old 08-30-2011, 11:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I believe you have the wrong pilot bearing.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

LS2 vs LS1..... I'm pretty sure that's your issue. Also, you may wanna consider pv blaster followed by anti sieze on bellhousing doll pins. That will help now, also future swaps.

I believe your pilot bearing is wrong because I had same issue only once in the many times I've removed these drivetrains, and it was on my own vette, after a new design engine swap... It baffled me for a bit,... Finally figured it out. Make sure there isn't two bearings in there accidentally, like an ls1 style followed by LS2 style . Anyways, check it out.