Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Potential future C4 owner, Please Help :)

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 02:45 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential future C4 owner, Please Help :)

Hi guys I currently have a 98z28 m6 STOCK and am getting ready to fix all the tiny things with it and polish it up to sell it to get into something different... I'd like to get a C5 but I like NOT having a loan more lol

My question #1 Has anybody moved from an f-body to a C4 before? I figured people have upgraded as far as years and performance and have only gone C5 and above so I might be one of the rare ones lol

#2 Will I feel much slower than my current car? I mean the C4 weighs 120lbs less but has approximately the same hp. I know the LT4 C4 is even if not out run an LS1 but how about an LT1? I assume with minimal bolt-ons and or a hot-cam it'll be even? My budgets 7to12k for the right car with less than 65k millage, I'm sure I can find something

I don't track or drag race my car. I want a good looking/fun/m6 car as my DD that when my right foot feels the need for speed, it's there I think for those purposes the C4 might just be fine.

Any complaints or anything holding it back from being a DD and putting 60miles round trip with it everyday for school?

Sorry if this is too long guys, but I appreciate any input, thanks and have a lovely Thursday
Old 05-10-2012, 03:44 AM
Staging Lane

If you take your time and look you should be able to find a good c5 for less then 12k now. I picked up my 03 2 years ago for 15k. And it was in great shape less then 35000 miles on it. While I was looking I saw several around 11-12k. I it were me I would just save a little more and get a c5. Better all around performance. And IMHO they loom way better. Good luck with whatever you go with though
Old 05-10-2012, 06:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Hum, theres not enough space on here to get into all the changes from the c4 to c5. I owned 2 c4 for a total of 10 years. Ive owned 2 c5s for a total of 8 years, from daily driver to weekend warrior. I do my own mods, and race whenever i can. I would save a few extra dollars and get a c5. The c4 is ok, but the c5 is another class of performance, quality and style.
An LT4 c4 would run you about the same price as a c5. The lt4 is cool, I would rather have an LS1 though. You can really beat on a c5 and it keeps going, Happy hunting
Old 05-10-2012, 09:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

98-99 C5's should be able to be found for 13-15K all day long. I like the C4 but it doesn't compare to the C5 at all. My buddy has a 91 ZR-1 and I love the car but it has a lot of short comings mostly involved with the interior and how hard it it to get in and out of because of the ledge that clearances the frame rails. Not to mention to take the targa off you need a wrench. The LT1 is decent engine but the aftermarket is dwindling and the potential is much less than an LS1. Be patient and get a C5.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Good friend of mines has a '95 M6 C4, it has no problem keeping up with my A4 LS1 and I would say that the interior quality and ride is no better, but also no worse than my F-Body. Also, they can each be had for about the same price. So, I don't think it's too bad if you're tired of the F-Body and don't want to swing the extra cost of the C5, even though it may be worth it in the longrun if you did.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I learned to drive on a C4. I like them, but I'm not sure I'd give up an LS1 F-body for another C4.

However, they're VERY fun cars in comparison to an F-body. The handling is not super amazing, but it does handle like a go-kart which gives you a lot of confidence (especially coming from an f-body) and every time you drive the car it will feel like you're in a go-kart.

For that kind of money you CAN find LS1 Corvettes. My friend just bought a 99 FRC for around $8K. The deals are out there, you just have to keep an eye out. Look on Corvette Forums for the best deals. Those guys know what they have and aren't about to gouge you in front of their peers.

I recently saw a really nice LS1 coupe for about 10K. It was gone fast, but these deals are definitely out there.

The C5 is light years ahead of the C4, but the C4 still has its appeal. I actually was thinking about buying a 91 6-speed. (Didn't want the LT1, but wanted the LT1 style bumpers). I drove my friends 90 6-speed and that thing was a blast. Definitely felt a bit slow, especially coming from driving Z06s, but not to the point where I would be unhappy driving it. And there's always a motor swap or mods if the car is too slow. Honestly, if you wanted to do the work yourself, you could buy a C4 and do an LS swap in it for less than your max budget.

Quick Reply: Potential future C4 owner, Please Help :)