Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

BCM going bad?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 10:06 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default BCM going bad?

Had a weird happening Sunday. I just purchased my C5 and haven't had any trouble with it at all.. Me and my fiance drove it to her parents house to show them the new "toy" and of course he wanted to drive it. We get in and start down his very steep hill when the car started chiming so I looked at the display and it says "reduced engine power" or something like that. None of the gauges worked except the tach and speedometer.. I wasn't driving so I'm not sure if the car was actually being cut down on power. He was going probably 2 mph down a steep hill and even after starting to drive it normal the messages just kept chiming and showing up on the display. He went very slowly through town just showing off lol.. When we got to the lake he turned it off and had me show him the engine, we got back in and it ran fine.. I haven't had any issue since.. I'm just wondering if it had something to do with him creeping down that hill so slowly in 2 gear (he was bogging the car down).. Oh and almost forgot, the selectable "ride control" and traction control weren't working either according to the display.. Its like a whole module of the car just quit working..
Old 06-12-2012, 07:20 PM
TECH Veteran

It meant sell it to someone(like my friend) very cheap lol. But really if he was "lugging" the engine for a period of time "reduced engine power" means the computer has gone into "limp" mode to mostly save the converters etc. from misfires. Once the dufus got out of the drivers seat and it was driven normally AND the message was no longer there after a period of time my guess is all is just fine. If there was a MIL light(malfunction indicator light) that came on have it scaned and go from there, point of story no ***** is worth letting a dweeb drive your car lol.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:39 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ss rally red
It meant sell it to someone(like my friend) very cheap lol. But really if he was "lugging" the engine for a period of time "reduced engine power" means the computer has gone into "limp" mode to mostly save the converters etc. from misfires. Once the dufus got out of the drivers seat and it was driven normally AND the message was no longer there after a period of time my guess is all is just fine. If there was a MIL light(malfunction indicator light) that came on have it scaned and go from there, point of story no ***** is worth letting a dweeb drive your car lol.
LMAO

Glad you got it running ok !!

Quick Reply: BCM going bad?