Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Budget C5 Track Build

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 01:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

More progress this weekend. Got the A-pillar bars added to the cage, as well as the windshield bar, dash bar, and the driver side door bars. Dad gutted the doors and made some cool brackets to relocate the power window motors so that they'll clear the cage bars that go into the door.

My nephew came to help out on Saturday morning, it's a little tough keeping him engaged since he's too young to be much help on the stuff we're doing now, but it's still fun having him around. He gets all fired up about racing, says that if I want, he'll "drive the car for me so I can get a trophy"

Needed more clearance on the pillar

Bending to fit the template

Test-fit with the upper bend

Tacked in, no base plates yet

Notch needs final fitting too

Other side done

Nice fit-up, this improves with the base plates installed

Windshield bar fitted

Old 05-14-2014, 01:50 PM
Staging Lane

Dusted off a 'nipple' from the weld that formed when a piece of slag fell out of the tip at the end of the weld

Sa-weet.

Clearance notching for door bars

Door bar fitted to template

Test-fitted

Slight miscalculation in the upper clearance notch, but it'll work.

Cope fits perfect

Duplicating

Notice that there isn't an 'S' bend in the door bars. This series doesn't allow them on new builds, mainly because they weaken the bars significantly. I wanted to show here that it's possible to run the bars without an S-bend while still maintaining the OE door gasket. By stopping my clearance notches just shy of the gasket surface, I was able to run the bars out into the door without an S-bend. They're very strong and provide lots of room inside the car.

Cheating on the verticals, bars are 6" C-C, holesaw in the Bridgeport makes quick work of them.

Template for the lower verticals

Fitted!

Welded

More clearance needed now with the verticals installed. There's the slick window motor mount that dad made. We'll have a power feed and basic window switch on each door, so the power windows will be operable without any need for the door control modules

Fits good now
Staging Lane

Dusted off a 'nipple' from the weld that formed when a piece of slag fell out of the tip at the end of the weld

Sa-weet.

Clearance notching for door bars

Door bar fitted to template

Test-fitted

Slight miscalculation in the upper clearance notch, but it'll work.

Cope fits perfect

Duplicating

Notice that there isn't an 'S' bend in the door bars. This series doesn't allow them on new builds, mainly because they weaken the bars significantly. I wanted to show here that it's possible to run the bars without an S-bend while still maintaining the OE door gasket. By stopping my clearance notches just shy of the gasket surface, I was able to run the bars out into the door without an S-bend. They're very strong and provide lots of room inside the car.

Cheating on the verticals, bars are 6" C-C, holesaw in the Bridgeport makes quick work of them.

Template for the lower verticals

Fitted!

Welded

More clearance needed now with the verticals installed. There's the slick window motor mount that dad made. We'll have a power feed and basic window switch on each door, so the power windows will be operable without any need for the door control modules

Fits good now
Staging Lane

Lots of clearance for the seat and driver

More to come next weekend, we're testing on the 19th so it's officially crunch time! Thanks for looking
Old 05-14-2014, 01:51 PM
Staging Lane

Phew, my computer is smoking after posting all those pictures, that brings this thread up to current, I need to get back to work!
Old 05-21-2014, 09:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great post!

Quick Reply: Budget C5 Track Build