Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

1999 C5 Corvette Active Handling warming up Code c1283

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 08:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 C5 Corvette Active Handling warming up Code c1283

Had a new 408 with an A&A system installed when I picked the car up it has a active handling warming up on the display. Signed it off to the choppy road that I did a big burnout on causing it. Trailered the car home and went for a drive. Within the first 1/2 mile same code came on.... I have done some looking into this and most guys have a problem with the rack or wheel moving when removed or re-installed. I have tested the voltage output of the steering wheel position sensor and am a little baffled. I figured it would be an easy fix by re clocking the wheel to the rack but I have a very strange voltage reading. Some times the light blue wire on the SWPS (light blue closest to the middle of the connector) reads 0.665 volts if you barely move the steering wheel it jumps to around 11.0v. From what I found going straight should be between 2.3-2.7 volts.

I unplugged the connector to the SWPS and tested power wondering if I had an internally shorted sensor.

The 5v ref wire (brown) was good and the 12v wire (green i think) was good but I also had full battery voltage the light blue signal wire which should be at 0 i would think since it is the signal wire from the sensor.... At this point all I can think is a pinched harness supplying voltage to the signal not letting the wheel and rack sync.. Has anyone had a similar issue or an ABS wiring diagram I could get? I have gone over all the grounds and connections I could find but I know these are a little troublesome and have multiple grounds.

Really looking for some diagrams to help test!

Thanks in advance!!!
Old 07-22-2015, 10:00 AM
Teching In

bump up
Old 07-22-2015, 05:34 PM
Teching In

I found a wiring diagram of the system and re tested everything.

On wheel position sensor:

Pin 1 - I have 5v

Pin 2 - Checked and it has good ground

Pin 3 - It has 11.3v plugged in and unplugged from the sensor

Pin 4 - It has 11.3v plugged in and unplugged from the sensor

Pin 5 is blank on mine- no wire

Pin 6 - has only .05v on analog signal wire.

I did some checking around and figured this was my problem and was told to jump the 5v power from pin #1 to pin 6 when I did I had a hard code c1288 which I had not seen before and the description said "both a and b phase are greater than 4.9v for 1.6 seconds. I un jumped them and the code did not return but my c1283 came back upon test drive.

I don't know if my EBCM is bad or what.... Anyone want to take a few minutes and see what the pins read on a car with no issues???
Old 07-22-2015, 05:35 PM
Teching In

Wiring diagram
Attached Thumbnails 1999 C5 Corvette Active Handling warming up Code c1283-99-c5-swps-diagram.gif  

Quick Reply: 1999 C5 Corvette Active Handling warming up Code c1283