Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

C5 manual shifting problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 manual shifting problems

I bought this car at 49,500 miles the problem started at 51,000 miles. It started with grinding going into 5th when shifting normally. When I shift slowly and pause at the indents and take about 2 seconds between shifts i can get it to slip in witout grinding. A couple hundred miles later it started to do the same in 4th and the the same with third after another couple hundred more miles. I changed the trans fluid and put in Mobile 1 synth and i tried to do a shifter adjustment with no change in either case. So far 1st, 2nd, 6th and reverse work fine.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:34 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Syncros are hit time for a freshen.
Old 06-25-2017, 09:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If you're looking to avoid a rebuild for the time being you might try some other fluids. Some of the synthetics might not be optimum for the synchros. I know Mobil 1 is recommended by Tremec. But, not everyone has good luck with it. If I were looking for a synthetic for a C5 Vette M6, I'd probably try the Amsoil Torque Drive ATF. You can always "save" the M1 fluid for a future trans fluid change (once rebuilt).

I might also be inclined to try a straight conventional ATF Dex3 like the GM 88861800. A slight change to make the ATF less slippery and with different friction modifiers could get you some more time. Isn't this the fluid these cars were delivered with?

Rev match and double clutch as needed to put less wear and tear on the synchros.

Quick Reply: C5 manual shifting problems