Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Engine Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Help

Dealership told me today that I had a "lower rod out" and a "cam bearing spinning". But they won't look into it further to be sure because of the performance parts on it. They said the only thing they can do is replace the engine. My question is, what are the chances this actually ruined my block and/or heads? Could I not just get a bottom end stroker kit and have the engine rebuilt? And put a new cam in? Local machine shop wants over 2 grand to disassemble the engine and measure and test the block and heads to be sure they can reused. Just trying to decide what my best options are. BTW, I drove less than a mile straight to the dealership when I heard the low end knock so I'm hoping the block and heads are not destroyed.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Sorry to hear that, sounds like you have my luck.
Id take your block somewhere else, or itd really be cheaper to find a nice used shortblock to stick in it. Junkyards are plentiful. You have lots of options so dont be discouraged, Take the engine apart yourself its easy, there is lots of YouTube videos. Look the parts over and see whats usable and whats not. If the heads are in decent shape just clean them up and throw them back on another shortblock, cam most likely is toast so you have lots of options to replace it there too. Pushrods should be reusable as long as one isn't bent or anything thats assuming you have comp hardened ones. Personally I wouldnt re use a block that had spun the cam bearing once before. I wouldnt trust it.
Old 09-01-2019, 09:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You likely just spun a rod bearing the cam bearing spinning is trash talk your heads are just fine but you did likely mess up the crank pretty good by driving it instead of shutting it off rite then and there on the spot rather than spend money on fixing the crank buy a new one so you don’t end up with low oil pressure even by just polishing the journals the oil pressure drops and it always sucks, good luck with your car recovery

Quick Reply: Engine Help