Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Instead of the zip tie mod...

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2004, 07:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Instead of the zip tie mod...

What about a modified stock C5 lid instead? And how come nobody makes an aftermarket upper lid for the C5 like they do for the f-body? It seems it would be a popular mod and then you wouldn't have to worry about getting water into the filter.
Old 08-15-2004, 11:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
What about a modified stock C5 lid instead? And how come nobody makes an aftermarket upper lid for the C5 like they do for the f-body? It seems it would be a popular mod and then you wouldn't have to worry about getting water into the filter.
You mean like this?

http://www.granatellimotorsports.com/gmsuperram.htm
Old 08-15-2004, 06:06 PM
TECH Resident

I've seen people cut about a 6" square from the front of the filter box to improve air flow. guess it gets okay results, but it looks really butchered, IMO. I personally just used the zip tie method before going to a vararam, which I would recommend to anyone who asked. only thing I don't care for with the vararam setup is what a PITA changing/cleaning the filter is, as you have to partially disassemble the thing to get the filter out.
performance wise, the vararam rocks.

Old 08-15-2004, 06:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SSpdDmon
For $659?? No thanks! I'd like to see someone sell just the lid though, why couldn't someone do that for $100-150 like an f-body lid?
Old 08-15-2004, 07:13 PM
TECH Addict

Patman that setup was designed my MTI. Its what I use right now. I paid $150 or so for it used.
Old 08-16-2004, 01:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

http://www.granatellimotorsports.com/gmsuperram.htm

I'm running it too......I've seen it for 395.00 MTI website (looks like the same one)
Easy to install, but cleaning the air filter looks to be PITA as well!
Old 08-16-2004, 09:37 AM
Teching In

Default granatelli

I have the granatelli ram air system on my 2000 corvette, works good but the cover is cracked. I called granatelli and asked if they sold the cover seperate, they said no you have to buy the whole system again, what a crock.
Does any one know if the ones off of a camero would work? It looks like crap with silicone on it
Old 08-16-2004, 02:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SixPak
I only thing I don't care for with the vararam setup is what a PITA changing/cleaning the filter is, as you have to partially disassemble the thing to get the filter out.
Does this statement still apply to the models with the quick-release system? I am seriously considering this mod, so the more information I have, the better!
Old 08-16-2004, 09:19 PM
TECH Regular

The purpose of the Zip Tie method air intake, veraram, Breathless, air intakes is to get cooler air into the MAF, at speed, than engine air. Several GM racing engineers looked at the situation and told several of us the best method was to us a Donaldson type AC, cut a hole in the radiator shroud larger than the AC and completely enclose it. On a dyno or other type of static testing it may not make the most HP, but under driving conditions your Intake Air Temperature (IAT) would be the same as outside air temps. This would produce the greatest HP in a dynamic test. The VeraRam uses a similar principal, but has less air entering the system than the Donaldson system...The downside, only heard of one company somewhere in FL that make the cover. The engineers were Corvette LS1/2 engine group and build/race T1, WC cars. The other suggestion they had was a heat extractor hood like the C5R. FWIW
Old 08-17-2004, 06:33 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by GA_Driver
Does this statement still apply to the models with the quick-release system? I am seriously considering this mod, so the more information I have, the better!
I pull my Vararam's filter every month to inspect and/or clean it and I've had NO PROBLEM with it at all. The quick release T-handles make the job easy.

BTW, this T-handle system is on the VR-1B and VR-2B systems.
Old 08-17-2004, 07:16 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ArmyVette
I pull my Vararam's filter every month to inspect and/or clean it and I've had NO PROBLEM with it at all. The quick release T-handles make the job easy.

BTW, this T-handle system is on the VR-1B and VR-2B systems.
That's exactly what I needed to know! Thank you sir!
Old 08-17-2004, 07:34 AM
12 Second Club

Any change that you make from the factory air box is going to be a plus. On my 99 I looked at the cover and the air entry only had 4 holes about the size of quarters for air intake. This is not good or even acceptable, but the manufacture must comply to drive by noise levels and other rules. Anyways The Vararam is used by alot of people and so is the Donaldson Blackwing and many others. I personally use the Donaldson Blackwing and have no complaints. To date with Drag radials, B&M ripper shifter and a Blackwing I have turned a 12.58@110.03, everytime I type that I am just . I have not changed any of the air routing in the front end either I.E. cut, drill or add tubing for extra or cooler air. Hope this helps some... Good luck and mod it, go to the track and let us know the results...
Old 08-17-2004, 08:18 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I used the Vararam before the blower and really liked it.Ran 12.4 at 112mph on a 85 degree day with only the ram air on stock runflats at 32psi
Old 08-17-2004, 08:22 AM
On The Tree

The Vararam will be more work, but if I can get my Pops to help with the install, then I'm going to get it instead of the Blackwing.
Old 08-17-2004, 05:21 PM
TECH Resident

I did mine by myself in about 3 hours. hardest part was getting under the car. with a lift of some sort it could prolly be done in two.
BTW, checking/changing the filter ain't all that hard.
Sometimes I think I just like to hear myself bitch.

P.S. If you've decided to go ahead with the vararam, check with exit28motorsports. they have (had?) them for $315.00 shipped!

Old 08-17-2004, 06:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

No one mentioned the Z06 air box lid ,which you can buy all day long, that has a large opening in it.
Old 08-17-2004, 06:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SixPak
I did mine by myself in about 3 hours. hardest part was getting under the car. with a lift of some sort it could prolly be done in two.
BTW, checking/changing the filter ain't all that hard.
Sometimes I think I just like to hear myself bitch.
Pops has a true lift, and he loves to work on cars—I thought it would be a fun father/son bonding time, all in the name of more power.

P.S. If you've decided to go ahead with the vararam, check with exit28motorsports. they have (had?) them for $315.00 shipped!

315? ****, my decision just got harder! My C5 friends have all given the Blackwing glowing reviews, but the Vararam *looks* like it is unbeatable.
Old 08-17-2004, 06:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 69Vette03
No one mentioned the Z06 air box lid ,which you can buy all day long, that has a large opening in it.
How much is the Z06 lid and what is the part number?
Old 08-17-2004, 06:55 PM
TECH Regular

Z06 lid is around $40-60 and available from most vendors. It is worth 2 flywheel HP (according to GM engineering). If you get a blackwing, it is better, but it is the IAT (intake air temperature) that makes HP. Veraram is good, Vortec is good, Breathless is good and Blackwing with an exclosed cover and open fan shroud is best.
Old 08-18-2004, 04:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

When I go to ARE this Friday for dyno tuning I will see if they've got any Z06 airboxes there, as I know they've got a lot of takeoff parts lying around. I can probably buy it for a good price I'm sure.

Quick Reply: Instead of the zip tie mod...