Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

6 Inch Rods

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 03:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6 Inch Rods

my 96 vette gettin heads & cam package, track guys are telling me to try longer rods. why use longer some say piston slap comes with 6 inch rods. [mods] cold air & hyper III 13.02 @ 106 mph
Old 09-07-2004, 04:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Why are they saying go w/ longer rods? You going to have big plans for the engine, that you're going to need upgraded rods, or you just want a larger CID engine?

And the reason they may be saying go w/ longer rods is b/c with a longer rod you have less stroke, which leads to more torque (typically). Thats about the only thing I could see their reasoning behind it, especially not knowing your plans for the car.

I dont see a problem in going w/ longer rods, as long as its setup properly, but w/o knowing your plans for the car, for now i'd say leave well enough alone, and not touch 'em. If your plans are to go w/ a boost or nitrous huffin engine later, then it may be "insurance" now to just do it while the top ends apart instead of later. But you may wanna upgrade the pistons also if going that route.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"And the reason they may be saying go w/ longer rods is b/c with a longer rod you have less stroke, which leads to more torque (typically)."

No, a shorter stroke crank gives you less stroke. Longer rods just means...well, the rods are longer. To accomplish this you will need different pistons (with the wrist pin moved higher.) The gain? Not worth the trouble, IMO. Your peak piston velocity will be a little less, the piston will not side load the cylinder quite as much, and, most importantly, the piston will spend more time at and near top dead center. All this adds up to a very small gain in power for the $$$.
Old 09-09-2004, 05:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Ok, I may have just gotten my thoughts mixed up. I may have neglected the wrist pin height change, but I guess I was figuring that if the rod was longer than the stroke would be less (being you added height to the rod). Stupid mistake, but we all make 'em from time to time.

Quick Reply: 6 Inch Rods