Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Do I want a vette or an fbody?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2004, 06:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

actually the only rare SS/WS6 cars are the 98s and the LT1 WS6 cars. everything else is easily found. matter of fact more WS6s were built in 02 than regular TAs. so if a triple black WS6 is what you want it will not be hard to find.

heres and example. a guy i know just bought an 00 WS6 M6 with i think 50k miles for 17k. this car is very clean no swirl marks in the paint at all(which is next to impossible to do on black). and it has the optional wheels on it that look like grand am rims which ive only seen once and thats his. so keep looking and dont be afraid to travel a little ways to find what you want. be picky and dont rush into something. your not buying anything exotic.
Old 09-22-2004, 06:09 PM
TECH Resident

actually if you want something different that youll have to hunt for get any WS6 formula. all of them are rare LT1s included. that will be hard to find, but worth it in my opinion
Old 09-22-2004, 06:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by generalchaos
well the insurances are based on things like average drivers, how often they are in accidents, ect. you usually dont see a vette totaled around a phone poll...

but then again im a kid, not a 50 year old man. I know the vette is better all around, and I like it for that, but the odds of me autocrossing is slim. Id really like to take racing classes and things to make my skills better but not sure if I will. And sadly in the end to 90% of people a car is judged by 1/4 only.

And theres no way theres any decent ss/ws6 around me for 11-13k, they are kind of rare so people are going to sell for high, ideally id like a tripple black M6, but doubt id find it (well I did, 02 ws6 with 80k miles for 18k LOL) and its hard for me to justify spending 20-22k on a car with 50-60k miles on it. And if things go my way....which nobody knows if they will, id get kinda heavy into the mods.

Id definately prefer the hardtop vette (limo tinted with some true dual exhaust ), and im not looking to haul people and things, id rather have 2 seats because then im not the taxi (I always am), thats what ill have a truck for, and I just like 2 seaters better, but im not sure with the cost/miles.

I suppose I need to go get some insurance quotes and look up ls1 longevity, and I definately cant afford a z06 so thats out of the question

Dude if you look you could find a very good condition Z28 or TA for that price EASY, if you look HARD you can find a SS\WS6 for that price. I wouldn't pay more than 12k for 30k-50k mile 98 SS period. The upscale packages are basically just a hood and wheels. I've bought and sold a few of these so I'm not pulling this out my ***.

For instance a year and a half ago I bought my 01 SOM WS6 M6 with 12K miles on it from a dealer for 19500!!!
Old 09-22-2004, 06:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

damn im going through the same decision right now....keep the h/c 30th ws6 or get rid of it and get a 99 white frc and strap my d1sc on it? hmmmm..
Old 09-22-2004, 07:12 PM
TECH Junkie

If you can afford the vette get the vette...If you can't it ain't like your hurtin in your current ride FYI a D1SC with Andy's kit will put down 500rwhp on an otherwise STOCK C5
Old 09-23-2004, 08:28 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gloveperson
Kids buy F-bodies. Kids get 100 mph speeding tickets. 50 year old men drive Vettes (majority ). 50 year old men don't race. That is what you call a simple explanation lol.

-Todd
I race my Y-Body (At the track). And DR's get expensive in the 18" sizes...
Old 09-23-2004, 08:40 AM
Staging Lane

maybe around in oregon its different because within 100 miles of myself there sure isnt anything good for under 15k, and I dont want a z28.

Im sure I can find something, but im not going to go gung ho on search untill my loan is approved and I see how much cash I can spend.

If I can find a vette I like im getting that, if not an ss/ws6 will be fine.
Old 09-23-2004, 08:58 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 30th t/a
damn im going through the same decision right now....keep the h/c 30th ws6 or get rid of it and get a 99 white frc and strap my d1sc on it? hmmmm..
Dude. A white FRC would be killer. You just don't see a lot of those.
Old 09-23-2004, 09:28 AM
TECH Addict

buy the vette allready, I had to make that very tough decision but once you start driving the vette you will realize you made the right decision, ONLY reason not to is having to haul more than 2 people

(btw, get one w/HUD it friggen rules!!!)
Old 09-23-2004, 01:07 PM
Staging Lane

HUD is 99+ right? im looking for a 99 since some problem was fixed compared to the 97-99 ls1's if I remember whatever I read right.

and trust me I dont want to haul more then 2 people lol. (like you can really fit 4 in a fbody anyway, its a 3 seater at best)
Old 09-23-2004, 06:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Dude. A white FRC would be killer. You just don't see a lot of those.
damn staright....plus my friend at work has a black 02 z06 and my other friend has a 03 black z06 so im forced to go with the next best....white.

buy the vette allready, I had to make that very tough decision but once you start driving the vette you will realize you made the right decision, ONLY reason not to is having to haul more than 2 people
i already got the rear seats outta the ws6.
Old 09-23-2004, 07:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Screw haulin more than 2 people, just slows you down
Old 09-23-2004, 11:07 PM
Staging Lane

I dunno.. I used to be in the F-Bod/Mustang thing... But having the Vette is a totally different thing. The Vette turns far more heads then an F-Bod. At the track, they are pretty even. In the twisties, it isnt even close. Build quality of the Vette is higher, C5's dont have the rattles etc that the F-bods are saddled with. The Vette will be worth a higher % of what you paid for it in 3 years and a hell of alot more in 10 years. And personally IMO I think the FRC/z06 have the sweetest lines of any GM car made since the 60's.
Old 09-23-2004, 11:13 PM
Formerly MagRedC5

Originally Posted by Kap_99C5
...And personally IMO I think the FRC/z06 have the sweetest lines of any GM car made since the 60's.
...including the fugly C6 The lines are all screwed up on the new Euro C6, IMHO.
Old 09-24-2004, 08:06 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 30th t/a
damn staright....plus my friend at work has a black 02 z06 and my other friend has a 03 black z06 so im forced to go with the next best....white.
get it get it get it get it
Old 09-24-2004, 09:49 AM
Staging Lane

Kap_99C5 you got exactly what I want to buy
Old 09-24-2004, 10:20 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by generalchaos
Kap_99C5 you got exactly what I want to buy
Just takes some looking man.. I ended up finding mine with 40k miles on it as a corporate lease return. Paint and body were immactulate and picked it up for 22.9k in San Diego (where nothing is cheap). I would venture to guess in other parts of the country could find one cheaper still. My insurance on the Vette is cheaper then my Toyota Tacoma... How f'd up is that?
Old 09-24-2004, 01:54 PM
Staging Lane

I'll keep that in mind, see if some dealer could hunt down a lease return or something as well, when the cash is in my account I can hunt like a mad man (I found my 95 5 speed awd talon for dirt cheap, and only an hour away from me within a week)

insurance for me will be kind of steep, but im younger so its expected. But like I said (not sure if I posted it here or not) maybe vette insurance is cheaper because the drivers are usually tame with them.
Old 09-24-2004, 02:09 PM
12 Second Club

I have had both and an 01 Mustang GT. For me it was easy, I wanted a Vette especially a C5. So if that is what you want, get it. Take your time and search around and be ready to jump on the good deal that WILL arise. The basic question is, which car moves you emotionally? WS6 T/A, buy it, C5 FRC, or Vert or Coupe buy it. Its only money and we live only once. I consider myself to be lucky. With only an air filter change and DR's I managed some really great runs at the track. The LS1 is a great engine...
Old 09-24-2004, 07:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Kap_99C5
I dunno.. I used to be in the F-Bod/Mustang thing... But having the Vette is a totally different thing. The Vette turns far more heads then an F-Bod. At the track, they are pretty even. In the twisties, it isnt even close. Build quality of the Vette is higher, C5's dont have the rattles etc that the F-bods are saddled with. The Vette will be worth a higher % of what you paid for it in 3 years and a hell of alot more in 10 years.

I am definitely enjoying Vette ownership! The car turns heads for sure! I just went out to dinner and as I parked the car in front of the restaurant I had a guy come up to me and tell me what an "absolutely gorgeous car" that was. And tons of other people were checking it out the whole time it was parked there. It made me feel proud, because for the longest time I lusted after this car so badly, and never thought I was going to get one until 2008 or 2009, but with the introduction of the C6 it brought the C5 prices down into my price range. I still went over budget on buying this car, but instead of my original plan of finding a very high mileage 97, I ended up finding a super mint condition 98 with just under 32k on it. I've been driving it every single day and have put 3400 miles on it in 7 weeks! And tomorrow I'll be taking it on a 6 hour drive to race it in Michigan. I just love driving this thing so much!

It is definitely a completely different feeling driving this car. You can tell that GM did their homework on it. Mine has the base suspension on it, but even still it outhandles just about anything on the road, but yet doesn't ride harsh at all. And the braking system is incredible!

Quick Reply: Do I want a vette or an fbody?