Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Can a vette out handle a biemer?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 05:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have driven all over Germany in a many BMWs and Mercedes along with Renaults, Skodas, ect. I have not had a vette on the autobahn or on a mountain road, but BMWs in Germany arent like the ones here in the states. They all have wider/better tires, more PS(hp), all wheel drive, and kick *** brakes. I would love to have a C5 on the autobahn and some of the awesome mountain roads, but I think the BMW is easier to drive in those conditions, its purpose built for just that. If anybody wants to pay to get a vette over there I know of plenty of people that will line up against you and show you what a BMW can do. Maybe you can line up against the new M6 with 500ps. And yes I have driven many C4 and C5 vettes here in Houston, where it is flat and boring. So I don’t have much twisty experience w/ a vette.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by j_rock
I have driven all over Germany in a many BMWs and Mercedes along with Renaults, Skodas, ect. I have not had a vette on the autobahn or on a mountain road, but BMWs in Germany arent like the ones here in the states. They all have wider/better tires, more PS(hp), all wheel drive, and kick *** brakes. I would love to have a C5 on the autobahn and some of the awesome mountain roads, but I think the BMW is easier to drive in those conditions, its purpose built for just that. If anybody wants to pay to get a vette over there I know of plenty of people that will line up against you and show you what a BMW can do. Maybe you can line up against the new M6 with 500ps. And yes I have driven many C4 and C5 vettes here in Houston, where it is flat and boring. So I don’t have much twisty experience w/ a vette.
Sounds like Germany is the place to own a BMW, go figure. I'm glad I live in the USA and drive a Corvette. I'm all american like that...LOL!
Old 11-19-2004, 10:27 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by j_rock
Conde Nast Traveler did an article on exactly that. Jay Leno paid to have a vette shipped over there so he could drive it on the Autobahn. You may try the archives are something like that or a google. It was a very good read.
Old 11-19-2004, 12:04 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by PurpleHaze98
Just thought Id add a little to this. Im not sure what camaros handle but im sure its around .88 to .90 on the skid pad. Now if anyone is an x ford buff many of you will remember when jackie stewart drove the 93 mustang and the 93 SVT lightning. He got out of the truck after he had drivin the mustang and said "now thats how the mustang should handle". I tend to disagree that american cars cant handle. My god father has gone through 3 vettes and numerous bmw's. He said the bmw's handle good but dont let you know when they are going to give in a corner, they just let loose. American cars tend to squeel and let you know your pushing them too much. Just thought Id add a little to this, I used to be a lightning guy.
That's called shitty rubber. Just because a vehicle squeals at its cornering limits, it does not make it a great handling vehicle. What does "let loose" as you like to put it mean anyway? I have two friends who have E46s (one a 330i and the other a 325Ci, both with 5 speed manuals) and both of these guys track their cars and they didn't seem to have any issues with this magical "letting loose" phenomenon. I'm sure the Bridgestone Potenza S03s on my friends 330i helped to counter some of that with exceptional grip but regardless, I don't know what you mean by "let loose." Exactly what kind of Corvettes and BMWs has your uncle owned?

And all this talk of "oooh, this car pulls this on a skidpad = great handling" is false advertising. skidpad numbers do not tell the entire story of a vehicles handling capabilities or characteristics. Slalom numbers, suspension layouts, suspension setups, weight distribution, drivetrain layout, drive wheels, curb weight and a whole sheeshload of stuff determine a cars handlng characteristics. Not only that, but different vehicles will perform better or worse depending on the track layout.

Don't get me wrong, I'm positive a Z06 would pretty much rape any current BMW around a track (although the E60 M5 may give the Vette a run for its money), but it is not due solely to skidpad numbers. It's due to the fact that the Corvette is a ***** to the wall sports car built to compete with the best while the current crop of M products are great engines and great suspensions within great cars that are originally intended to be luxurious people movers.
Old 11-19-2004, 03:41 PM
TECH Resident

Bruddah_Matt, very nicely said!!!
Old 11-19-2004, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FLYNLO
Bruddah_Matt, very nicely said!!!
I second that!

But I say to each his own, if you want a BMW then buy one.

Quick Reply: Can a vette out handle a biemer?