Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

C5 in the winter time

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2004, 11:53 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 in the winter time

How a C5 would do in the winter with a good set of snows?
Old 12-20-2004, 12:09 AM
TECH Addict

Very well
Old 12-20-2004, 04:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's better than the f-body because it's got 50/50 weight distribution, instead of 60/40, and plus it's traction control system is better. If you get one with active handling too, then you're really light years ahead. The one problem is ground clearance. Deep snow becomes a problem.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

just bought a set of snow tires for the pimped out vette. Have the stock painted rims on it. Gonna be fun!
Old 12-20-2004, 10:47 AM
LSK
Staging Lane

I bought my C5 used with Continental All Seasons on it. Havnt tried in the snow yet but I might. Winter is what my beater Jimmy is for.

If you can afford a C5, I dont see why you cant afford a beater for 2k or 3k.
Old 12-20-2004, 11:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LSK
I bought my C5 used with Continental All Seasons on it. Havnt tried in the snow yet but I might. Winter is what my beater Jimmy is for.

ha says you. I got my car cheap cheap cheap. and it made me broke broke broke!
Old 12-20-2004, 03:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LSK

For some of us it's a matter of storage space too. I have nowhere to park a third car. Besides, I see no reason to put the car away when there are only a handful of snowy days each season. Why should I suffer without the car for 3 or 4 months? I want to drive it!

I've heard those Continental Extremes are awesome in the snow by the way. I know someone with a 97 Camaro SS who used to run those tires all year round, and in the 275-40-17 size too, and he said it made it through a few inches of snow many times and he lives on a street with a bit of an incline and it doesn't get plowed very quickly either.
Old 12-21-2004, 05:13 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by seabirdak
How a C5 would do in the winter with a good set of snows?
Do fine , the 00' Coupe is my wifes EDD up to 5" of snow...........then its a plow being lowered & she goes with me in the p/u.
Yoko AVS sport non RFs work great, plus with ours being an A4 starting in 2nd makes it all good. Take your time, full tank of gas and keep an eye out for others......
Old 12-21-2004, 06:18 AM
TECH Veteran

That's what I'm talking about Patman! I didn't buy my car to just watch it sit. Snow tires really do make all the difference.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JackZ28
That's what I'm talking about Patman! I didn't buy my car to just watch it sit. Snow tires really do make all the difference.
A lot of people think I'm crazy for driving it in the winter since they say it will no longer be in mint condition. But I figure I'd rather drive my car all the time and have it be in 95% mint condition than to let it sit in the garage all the time in order to keep it 100% mint. It's not art, it's a car, meant to be driven! Besides, when you see my car from a distance, you can't tell the difference between one that is 100% mint and one that is almost mint. Mine will still look like brand new from a distance for as long as I own it. The key is to keep it clean as much as you can in the winter.

And my mom told me this weekend that if the weather is really bad she doesn't mind me borrowing her car. She is retired so she doesn't drive it very often anyhow, and certainly won't go out in a snowstorm if she doesn't need to. The only catch is that I would need to drive over to her house to get it first, so I need to keep an eye on the forecast to make sure I get her car before a storm arrives. Looks like Toronto could get hit with 8" of snow on Wednesday night through Thursday morning, so I'll probably drive over there on Wednesday after work to put my Corvette in her garage and take her VW Golf.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:47 AM
Staging Lane

the problems not the snow, its the salt, and other drivers.

Ideally when I get mine id like to store it in the winter but storage options and another car might be a different story. My only beef is all the salt. Right now the snow has hardly begun and the roads are pure white with so much salt they are pouring down, my poor talon is white instead of red, and I have no chance to wash it.

Would hate the vette to get rusted out ya know? or some idiot to slide into you, but I guess thats what insurance is for.

however it would be nice at the rate a v8 warms up compared to my little 4 banger that finally gets warm when im done driving...

Now more waiting untill the spring for mine even though im tempted to just buy one now.
Old 12-21-2004, 01:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by generalchaos

Would hate the vette to get rusted out ya know?
A rusted out Vette? Impossible. It's a little difficult for plastic to rust.
Old 12-21-2004, 02:43 PM
Launching!

toche lol
Old 12-21-2004, 04:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

WIth the salt and repetitive use in bad salt road conditions year in and year out in the winter, the undercarriage of the vette is where the concern would be with rust. But heck, life is too short and as long as you keep clean the car and spray the undercarriage, either the car or us won't be around long enuff until a C5, etc., starts to sig. rust underneath.

Also, a darn dealer won't give you a penny for if you ever trade in the C5 in the winter for a C6, regardless of whether the C5 was babied and never saw any rain, snow or salt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So i SAY DRIVE BABY DRIVE, as often as you can when the roads are dry and conditons are not too bad or dangerous, etc..!!!!
Old 12-22-2004, 07:06 AM
Staging Lane

i meant all the under carriage and things. Just take it to zeibarts or something for the rust proofing down there every year and itd probly be ok.
Old 12-23-2004, 04:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by generalchaos
i meant all the under carriage and things. Just take it to zeibarts or something for the rust proofing down there every year and itd probly be ok.
Most of the stuff underneath won't rust either, since there is a lot of aluminum under there too.

Quick Reply: C5 in the winter time